E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car T-Boned are 545i....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='553326' date='Mar 30 2008, 04:14 PM
I see you recently joined the forum ... what a terrible way to join ... my condolences and glad to hear there were no personal injuries. Cars can get replaced or repaired.

Your profile doesn't state the state or country where you're located.

If I read your post correctly, your wife was over the DUI limit but was hit by someone who failed to stop at a (red) traffic signal.

If the first condition is true, you should get lawyered up ASAP to get the DUI covered. In most states in the USA the penalties for that can be more painful than having your new-to-you BMW smashed.

As for property damage ... good luck. BMW's are be difficult and expensive to repair correctly. Generally the threshold to total a car is as high as 70+% of retail or replacement cost. So if your car has an average retail replacement value of $30,000 your insurance company may elect to have you repair it if the cost of repair is less than $21,000. That can cover a lot of repair!

Good luck - you will find lots of good advice here as your traverse the rocky roads to repair etc
Yep it was just one of those things that I'm sure most of us on here have done before. Out for dinner with friends and a few drinks with dinner (wasn't like she was boozing it up for hours or anything) and she was driving home and someone ran the red and hit the side.

The DUI is really the killer in the end that you feel for years. She pretty much understands she is going to have to drive a more basic car for the next few years. I can't even image what the insurance would be on 545 with a fresh DUI. So if the car gets fixed I think I'll take over driving that daily and put her on my 97 Lexus that I use to rack my miles up on for work. She is going to go talk to lawyer tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='553343' date='Mar 30 2008, 05:02 PM
Yep it was just one of those things that I'm sure most of us on here have done before. Out for dinner with friends and a few drinks with dinner (wasn't like she was boozing it up for hours or anything) and she was driving home and someone ran the red and hit the side.

The DUI is really the killer in the end that you feel for years. She pretty much understands she is going to have to drive a more basic car for the next few years. I can't even image what the insurance would be on 545 with a fresh DUI. So if the car gets fixed I think I'll take over driving that daily and put her on my 97 Lexus that I use to rack my miles up on for work. She is going to go talk to lawyer tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about the accident - bottom line is everyone is ok.

If you are in the U.S., I have to repeat what some previous posts said. Get a lawyer! Although your wife was determined to be DUI a lawyer can do a much better job getting the record to show that the accident was not her fault.

I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='553343' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:02 PM
Yep it was just one of those things that I'm sure most of us on here have done before.
I doubt it, at least not as mature adults. Besides the stupidity of it (a few drinks WILL impair your judgment and reaction time), the penalties one might face, which include imprisonment, loss of driving privileges for a year, and so on, are not even worth the risk. Not to mention what might happen if the impaired driver were to strike another vehicle or person...
Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='553217' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:46 AM
One week after we just got it. Lady ran a red light and hit my wife.

Wife said the side airbags went off but she wasn't sure if the steering wheel airbag went off. Haven't got to see it as its at the tow truck place inside and can't get at it until Monday.

So peeved off right now. Oh to boot she had a few dinner drinks and went just over the limit. Double whammy for us.

So what do you think the chances of the car being totaled out are? 2004 545i with 39,000 miles. She said it hit the driver side front fender and the driver side doors at about 25 to 30 MPH.
Skylolow......

Hey sorry to hear about your misfortune, I would definitely say that was a stroke really bad luck or good luck if you use the half glass full theory. Thankfully your wife is okay, as cars, no matter how nice can always be repaired or replaced. Hopefully everything works out for the best for you guys!!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Well everything is moving along smoothly. Insurance is paying for everything. Car was no where near as bad as my wife was making it out to be. I was amazed the windows didn't even break. But knowing cars I knew it was going to be expensive. Hell, a light fender bender is a $3,000 job today.

So damage ended up being.... Two doors, front fender (light scrape but are replacing the whole fender), two tires because of scuffing, the pillar between the doors in the Unibody that they say maybe slightly bent but aren't taking any risks and will replace it (I guess the way these unibodys are design BMW sells the section to go right in so its easier then messing around with it), paint, and few misc. parts. Grand total and 16 to 17 working days(after the week wait to get the parts) in the shop............... around $14,000 and the shop says they guarntee it will drive and look like new. They do all the work for the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Audi, VW, Volvo, Saab, and Porsche dealership in are area and have done similar jobs and much worse jobs in the past with perfect results.

What a freaking mess.

I hope my wife's story may make some of us think twice when we are out with friends for dinner or over at friends for dinner and have a few drinks. Maybe catching the game with some buddy's or a round of golf and decide to have a few drinks. We may not feel buzzed and think we are completely fine to drive. But it doesn't take much for some of us to be over the limit and something out of are control could turn your life upside down. Regardless is she was drinking or not she couldn't control someone running a dead red light. So a bad thing turned into two very bad things. Hopefully are story may make someone have only one bad thing.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='554457' date='Apr 1 2008, 06:30 PM
Well everything is moving along smoothly. Insurance is paying for everything. Car was no where near as bad as my wife was making it out to be. I was amazed the windows didn't even break. But knowing cars I knew it was going to be expensive. Hell, a light fender bender is a $3,000 job today.

So damage ended up being.... Two doors, front fender (light scrape but are replacing the whole fender), two tires because of scuffing, the pillar between the doors in the Unibody that they say maybe slightly bent but aren't taking any risks and will replace it (I guess the way these unibodys are design BMW sells the section to go right in so its easier then messing around with it), paint, and few misc. parts. Grand total and 16 to 17 working days(after the week wait to get the parts) in the shop............... around $14,000 and the shop says they guarntee it will drive and look like new. They do all the work for the BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Audi, VW, Volvo, Saab, and Porsche dealership in are area and have done similar jobs and much worse jobs in the past with perfect results.

What a freaking mess.

I hope my wife's story may make some of us think twice when we are out with friends for dinner or over at friends for dinner and have a few drinks. We may not feel buzzed or think we are completely fine to drive. But it doesn't take much for some of us to be over the limit and something out of are control could turn your life upside down. Regardless is she was drinking or not she couldn't control someone running a dead red light. So a bad thing turned into two very bad things.
Glad to hear things are going as well as can be expected. Sounds like the car came through in pretty fair shape.

Many years ago (won't say how many!), I made the same mistake as your wife. Believe me, it is easy to do! Thankfully nobody was hurt in either of our cases and a hard lesson was learned. In my case, it was in the days before MADD and I got off with community service, the DWI never appeared on my record as a first offender and after two years my record was expunged (spelling?). Today, anytime the wife and I go out where drinking is involved, the $15 cab ride is a solid investment...