E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car stolen and found- what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009 | 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='992287' date='Aug 29 2009, 08:08 AM
+1

Perps will often repeat the crime once they know there is accessibility and stuff of value that is easily disposed of. Low-level, opportunistic thieves can't dispose of cars but laptops, etc can be sold on the street in a New York Minute.

LOCK YOUR DOORS!

BTW, I suspect your mechanical "key" is long gone, on Ebay, or hanging like a badge of honor on someone's gold chain around his/her neck!
I wouldn't mind if the guy threw the key in the woods. The weird part is he locked the doors after parking it down the street. Almost courteous as to prevent anyone from stealing my son's car seat or something?
Old 08-29-2009 | 11:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='992321' date='Aug 29 2009, 09:57 AM
"........Yes officer, I came around the corner just in time to see this low life mother fuc....erm gentleman breaking into my car and yelled, got you now bitch...hey there, leave my car alone!. He charged at me with a (vaguely familiar) laptop, which he swung at my head several times. Fearing for my life, I pulled my firearm and squeezed off a few in his dome fired until he stopped coming at me."

Would that work?
HAHA. If I had the chance to catch the guy I imagine it may go down something like that. Maybe not in his head (afterall it's not an M5), but one in the gut won't feel too good.
Old 08-29-2009 | 03:12 PM
Members

An independent mechanic should be able to do this for half of what the dealer quoted. And with insurance covering the new key and its programming, it wouldn't be too expensive.
Old 08-29-2009 | 03:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='992321' date='Aug 29 2009, 09:57 AM
"........Yes officer, I came around the corner just in time to see this low life mother fuc....erm gentleman breaking into my car and yelled, got you now bitch...hey there, leave my car alone!. He charged at me with a (vaguely familiar) laptop, which he swung at my head several times. Fearing for my life, I pulled my firearm and squeezed off a few in his dome fired until he stopped coming at me."

Would that work?
Old 08-29-2009 | 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='992259' date='Aug 29 2009, 05:13 AM
This guy perhaps?

I should have known Calvin would find the picture of the "Perp" on one of his many searches on the internet!
Old 08-29-2009 | 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by fkrieger' post='992501' date='Aug 29 2009, 03:18 PM
I've changed the locks in the house. I used to leave the front door open to air the house in the summer... so I don't think that they have a key. My guess is that the soor was open and they walked in and stole the key from inside (which would be ballzy) and then came back at night a few days later... or maybe my son (1.5 years) got a hold of it and dropped it in the yard? Either way, the odds are small in either case. I changed the locks in the house to take precaution and also moved where I keep the keys away from the front door.

On top of that I have 2 dogs and a Glock .40 waiting for him if he wants to try again. Little did that do the first time though... I am just going to get the car re-key'd and leave it at that. It's about the only thing I can do aside from blocking in the car everynight with my wife's car. This isn't a good solution though as the guy can simply open the trunk/ car and take what is inside (not that I am going to leave anything in there again).
I'd say F the insurance company and let the guy steal your car. Teach them a lesson and you get yourself a newer car. Win-win.
Old 08-30-2009 | 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vwvwvw' post='992615' date='Aug 29 2009, 06:12 PM
An independent mechanic should be able to do this for half of what the dealer quoted. And with insurance covering the new key and its programming, it wouldn't be too expensive.
First thing Monday morning I'll check this out. I get oil changes from an indy but for some reason they don't have the computer from BMW for the e60 series cars. I guess BMW wants to lock people into going to the dealer. For the e39 I am confident that an indy could perform the service... reprogramming the car's computer is what scares me (if BMW indeed has this locked down and proprietary to the dealer still). Will let you know on Monday.
Old 08-30-2009 | 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='992761' date='Aug 29 2009, 11:14 PM
I'd say F the insurance company and let the guy steal your car. Teach them a lesson and you get yourself a newer car. Win-win.
I thought about this whe I thought the car was gone. Problem is finding a deal on a car that I want... with the options, etc. I've gotten use to the power rear sunshade, and all the bells and whistles that came on my car. It's loaded. TO go out and get a 2007 or something I don't know if I'd get the same deal. I bought my 05 in Sept of 08... when BMW was starting to panic a bit b/c car sales were hitting the skids (not that they aren't panicking now I guess)....
Old 08-30-2009 | 07:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fkrieger' post='993177' date='Aug 30 2009, 12:42 PM
I thought about this whe I thought the car was gone. Problem is finding a deal on a car that I want... with the options, etc. I've gotten use to the power rear sunshade, and all the bells and whistles that came on my car. It's loaded. TO go out and get a 2007 or something I don't know if I'd get the same deal. I bought my 05 in Sept of 08... when BMW was starting to panic a bit b/c car sales were hitting the skids (not that they aren't panicking now I guess)....
Here in California, the sales tax alone would be more than the cost of rekeying the car!
Old 08-30-2009 | 07:59 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

U should tell ur company they also tried to break the lock and everything else. The whole thing needs to be replaced and a bill sent to the insurance company. I dunno if that would work.

Quick Reply: Car stolen and found- what are my options?