E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which Car Should I Buy?
2008 E92 M3 CPO Silverstone
20.75%
2008 E60 M5 CPO Black Sapphire
79.25%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Car Shopping | Help Needed M3 or M5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by umichchris
ok so tonight i went back to the dealership to test drive the M3 just one more time....im riding around and enjoying the transmission and the M button configurations. while on the road a car up ahead catches my eye....i mean i can tell from a distance that this is something special so i speed up a bit to catch him.....the dude must see me coming and floors it....im confused like 'why is this guy running from me? is it because im in an M3 and he wants to race??' ....im not racing on a damn test drive so i let him go on ahead....eventually he slows down and i gradually catch up....this thing is beautiful....its a damn E60.....M5 lol!

all black, LCI model on some silver w/ chrome 20" DPE deep dish wheels....an older guy driving....looks over at me with this "you cant keep up with me mr. little M3" look on his face.....its like fate put that car in front of me as a sign while on my test drive....kinda spooky when i think about it.

so yea....decision made....if im breaking my neck to speed up to, catch and fawn all over an E60 M5 while TEST DRIVING an M3 then its obvious which car i should choose. decision made. firmly.

Thanks for your input guys!

wish me luck this week!

They're going to have to make a romantic comedy based on this post.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

haha! thats a movie id like to see!

update: the dealer and I could not come to agreeable terms on the 2008 M5 so my search has expanded out....im thinking about going with a low mileage 2006 and saving nearly $20k on the deal....either way it goes, the search is in full effect.

if you know anyone selling an M5 in good condition please let me kno....

Originally Posted by crypto
They're going to have to make a romantic comedy based on this post.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Pics of your new M5 pls
Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend going for a slightly higher mileage 2008+ LCI M5. My buddy is trying to get rid of his low mileage 2006 M5 because he spend $15k this past year alone on repair and maintenance. Apparently, the newer LCI models have a lot of updated/revised parts in the tranny. The early models had a known defect in the flywheel or something? Not sure, just passing on what I've heard.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

yea, i am all over M5 board looking at threads trying to learn what to look out for....to be honest it all makes me want to get a little E46 for its simplicity at this point! lol

but the hunt continues...

Originally Posted by dantheman1
I would highly recommend going for a slightly higher mileage 2008+ LCI M5. My buddy is trying to get rid of his low mileage 2006 M5 because he spend $15k this past year alone on repair and maintenance. Apparently, the newer LCI models have a lot of updated/revised parts in the tranny. The early models had a known defect in the flywheel or something? Not sure, just passing on what I've heard.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Chris, what was the final conclusion on your e60 that was hit? I was looking through to see if you sold or were selling it, or if the damage from the crash was too much. It didn't look like it was, but you never know.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

The insurance company totaled it out. The rear axel was snapped in three places, the rear quarter of the frame was bent & needed to be cut/welded/replaced. Ultimately the car was worth more to them as auction scrap than to repair it. Hurts my heart to say those words :/

I said my final goodbyes yesterday.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The insurance company totaled it out. The rear axel was snapped in three places, the rear quarter of the frame was bent & needed to be cut/welded/replaced. Ultimately the car was worth more to them as auction scrap than to repair it. Hurts my heart to say those words :/

Yikes, I know the repairs can get very costly. Sad to have one totaled so hopefully the insurance company was good to you. That is one thing that scares me about to much modding, I am sure that most of it or if any at all would probably not even be considered in a situation like this. I assume you weren't able to salvage any of it for your needs. Looks like you are getting the M3 based on the two pictures you have posted?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Still Chris, all in all, you are ok, the other driver is ok AND you get to upgrade to am M5 out of it - not as bad a result as could have been. Now I just need to find someone to hit my car so I can go get an M5
Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Chris,

I am always looking around at M's. I did find this one in Cincinnati. I know it's a drive for you, but not too too bad.

M5 in Cincinnati

Quick Reply: Car Shopping | Help Needed M3 or M5?