E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Which Car Should I Buy?
2008 E92 M3 CPO Silverstone
20.75%
2008 E60 M5 CPO Black Sapphire
79.25%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Car Shopping | Help Needed M3 or M5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I think the M5 would hold it's value over time better for 2 reasons:
1) It is more expensive, and therefore, more rare. The M3 is cheaper, but much more common as a result.
2) M5's tend to be babied by their owners (just ask EuroCarFan), whereas M3's tend to be modded to the max and raced and tracked so they tend to take much more of a beating.

Because of those 2 reasons I'd go with an M5 if buying CPO/used. Brand new? I might take the M3 so I could race/track it, just wouldn't want to take the chance on the unknown history of a car when used.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

In 5 years it's M3. Why? Fuel prices, it's not going forever 4 bucks for gallon. US should cover somehow the budget hole.
Clarkson said, not long time ago, it's sad soon all fuel engines are gone and all that fun with too.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

For performance + Luxury I would go for the M5 no question.

Performance + fun = M3

Since you are familiar with the E60's already, it makes perfect sense to get the M5
Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Tough choice. You've done pretty much all the mods on your 545i. It'll be like doing it all over again. Nothing new. It's like owning the same car. But there's nothing better than the sound of the V10. Better performance. This thing is a beast.

On the other hand. The M3 is a different platform. You'll have fun modding it with all the mods available for them. DCT Fast and nimble.

Gas will be a factor in resale. But you'd better experience the V10 while you can. Also depends on if you have a family too. It's a pain in the ass to get in and out of a coupe. No kids, get the coupe.

I'd say take a quarter out and flip for it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Damn! I just wish I could choose one or another of those!
This kind of "problems" are the ones that we all love, don't we!

Oh... M5

- Antti -
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

so after doing a bunch of auto quotes (some of which were astronomical *cough liberty mutual*) it appears that the insurance on the M5 will be roughly $100/month more than the M3 thats the only difference so far....

Me: im 30, single, no children, enjoy upward mobility in my career right now....i never ever let people ride in the back seat of my 545i because it was lowered on 20" wheels anyway lol

so the M3 being smaller and a coupe....its not a trade off....its just that the platform feels cheaper than the E60....BUT its a newer platform, newer engine and newer/much better transmission

the M5 is much more classy, has more amenities and tho i hate to say it has much more status associated with it....my only worries are issues with maintenance (its CPO though), gas milliage (i drive 20k miles a year at least) and long term value....tho i dont plan on selling it....i dont want to be upside down on the thing forever...

and yes, im super happy to be dealing with this "problem" lol
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

You're 30, single, no kids. M3 is the clear winner plus it will get the ladies a lot more than the M5 will. The status driving an M5 will dwindle especially with the new F10 M5s coming out.

FWIW, I know two people who had the M5 and quickly tossed it to get the M3. Sure the toys in the M5 are fun but so what? The toys get old but the DCT and engine never do.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

^^^what he said^^^

Once you get married and have a family, the M3 coupe won't be a choice necessarily, so get it and enjoy it while you can.
As far as status goes, status is for d-bags. 99% of Americans can't afford either of your choices.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

ok so tonight i went back to the dealership to test drive the M3 just one more time....im riding around and enjoying the transmission and the M button configurations. while on the road a car up ahead catches my eye....i mean i can tell from a distance that this is something special so i speed up a bit to catch him.....the dude must see me coming and floors it....im confused like 'why is this guy running from me? is it because im in an M3 and he wants to race??' ....im not racing on a damn test drive so i let him go on ahead....eventually he slows down and i gradually catch up....this thing is beautiful....its a damn E60.....M5 lol!

all black, LCI model on some silver w/ chrome 20" DPE deep dish wheels....an older guy driving....looks over at me with this "you cant keep up with me mr. little M3" look on his face.....its like fate put that car in front of me as a sign while on my test drive....kinda spooky when i think about it.

so yea....decision made....if im breaking my neck to speed up to, catch and fawn all over an E60 M5 while TEST DRIVING an M3 then its obvious which car i should choose. decision made. firmly.

Thanks for your input guys!

wish me luck this week!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

How about you just get an M3 and transplant a V10 engine into it? That's the best of both worlds right there
And judging by how many mods you've done on the 545, it's not even a stretch to imagine you doing this!

Either way though, good luck with whatever you get in the end! Can't wait to see what you do with the next ride

PS for the record, I voted M5

Quick Reply: Car Shopping | Help Needed M3 or M5?