E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CAR A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

What if you open the driver door really fast (with other doors remain closed), that would cause a vaccum effect which suck out all the stale and harmful air inside the cabin as you open it. Then its safer to enter. Right?

OP - I also heard that the new car smell actually is harmful to your health (probably emitting the same material). What are you going to do about that?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='882877
Please open the windows after you enter your car and do not turn ON the
air-conditioning immediately. According to a research done, the car dashboard,
sofa, air freshener emits Benzene, a Cancer causing toxin (carcinogen- take note
of the heated plastic smell in your car). In addition to causing cancer, it poisons
your bones, causes anemia, and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure
will cause Leukemia, increasing the risk of cancer may also cause miscarriage.
sofa? air freshener? I don't have a sofa or an air freshener in my car. So I guess I'm safe.

I can see why opening the windows is a good idea to quickly swap the air, but what's that got to do with the air conditioning? So far you've only mentioned dashboards, sofas and air fresheners as being the carcinogens - not the air con.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='882877
It is recommended that you open the windows and door to give time for
the interior to air out before you enter. Benzene is a toxin that affects your
kidney and liver, and is very difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff.
I often open all the windows via the remote control on really hot days, just to give the air-con an easier time of it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d M Sport (58) LCI

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='882907' date='May 19 2009, 04:58 AM
My wife got a Tsunami warning in her email last night for July, at least they had a little diagram of where the quake will be
Hahahahah
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Hey Bteljuice....thanks for posting this, whether or not it is taken seriously, is not up to you, just know you did the right thing!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Silver Metallic w/Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Poplar Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close. Mods: RPI Exhaust, Scoop + FIlter, License plate LED lights

can we turn on the fan and expel the air and then turn on the ac?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

this thread is 20 years too late.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='883157' date='May 19 2009, 12:26 PM
Hey Bteljuice....thanks for posting this, whether or not it is taken seriously, is not up to you, just know you did the right thing!
+1, thank you for sharing. I did some searching and it does look to be true, but in smaller doses then this may lead you to believe. In fact, from what I found, you will get more exposure to the listed carcinogens from fuel and other vehicles then you will in the cabin. In any case, I wasn't aware I could be exposed to ANY carcinogens while driving my car, and that just plain sucks. Thanks again.

I gotta get me one of these......same cost as a new e60! I bet electricity doesn't emit benzene

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Members

Another car myth. I'm sorry but it's just another myth, which passed on and on by emails. Just like these below....

- Attaching magnets to a motorcycle, or flashing your brights at a traffic signal, will turn a red light green.
- Filling up with gas during the hottest part of the day will hurt your mileage.
- It's illegal to drive barefoot.
- Gangbanger wannabes drive around at night with their headlights off, then ? gasp! ? shoot drivers who flash their lights at them.
- Gas stations posted warnings on pumps advising drivers not to use cell phones while filling up for fear that an electric spark could cause an explosion.
- Special, high-pitched whistle mounted on your car will scare deer and other critters away.
- Pushing a pedestrian button repeatedly will activate the crossing signal faster.
- If a traffic cop writesBike against traffic because you can see oncoming traffic better and avoid collisions. down information incorrectly, the motorist will be cleared.
- Bike against traffic because you can see oncoming traffic better and avoid collisions.

While it's good to take precautions, the benzene level in your hot car is so low that it's insignificant. If this was true, rich people in Africa or Middle East, where normal temp is higher than us, would die of cancers....but apparently they are not. Sorry to bust your bubble
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='883199' date='May 19 2009, 02:03 PM
...I gotta get me one of these......same cost as a new e60! I bet electricity doesn't emit benzene

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php
you're right, but there's always something to be concerned about if you look hard enough. with hybrids and electric vehicles it's EMF (electromagnetic frequency). pick your poison...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Lexus RX330. Looking to buy 2010 535i.

Hi all,
This is my first post, and I'm looking for y'all's expert opinions. I'm looking at buying my first BMW -- a new, 2010 535i. But, in perusing the posts in other fora, I've seen lots claiming that the A/C in Bimmers is bad, slow, weak, and, in general, not adequate for hot American climates. This could be a killer for my desire to buy a BMW instead of a Lexus, since summer temps in Dallas often go above 100 degrees F. Can anyone give me information and/or your opinion (based on published data or your own experience) regarding the ability of Bimmers in general and 535i's in particular, to cool the car on a hot Texas (or other southern state) summer day? How effective is the A/C, how cool, how long to cool the car, does it break down after a few years of use?
Many thanks.

Quick Reply: CAR A/C