E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car Acting Strange RPM Problems Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
It doesn't read any codes I know new coils are better but what if that's not the problem I have like 30,0000 on my sparks my air filter hasent been changed for 2 years it's clean though
Hi,

If you are waiting for the check engine light to tell you what is wrong with the car – Good Luck with that!

BTW
It would be helpful to know what engine do you have I6 or V8?

You also need to understand the difference between spark plug and ignition coil.
Ignition coil provides high voltage to spark plug to ignite the gas mixture in the cylinder.

If the coil is bad then it won’t provide the voltage and that cylinder will be dead. You will have Check engine light saying misfire on cylinder x.

But if the coil didn’t go bad 100% it will provide lower voltage. The spark will be weaker and you won’t burn the gas mixture 100%. That would cause vibrations and rough idle.
I am suspecting the second scenario on your engine. It works most the time with lower voltage and sometimes it will miss a spark (this is when your check engine came up).

Other problems with rough RPMs can come from vacuum leaks (common on V8 engines) or problems with injectors, broken sensors, etc. If you have a small vacuum leak you won’t get Check engine light, but engine still will be acting strange.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Hi,

If you are waiting for the check engine light to tell you what is wrong with the car – Good Luck with that!

BTW
It would be helpful to know what engine do you have I6 or V8?

You also need to understand the difference between spark plug and ignition coil.
Ignition coil provides high voltage to spark plug to ignite the gas mixture in the cylinder.

If the coil is bad then it won’t provide the voltage and that cylinder will be dead. You will have Check engine light saying misfire on cylinder x.

But if the coil didn’t go bad 100% it will provide lower voltage. The spark will be weaker and you won’t burn the gas mixture 100%. That would cause vibrations and rough idle.
I am suspecting the second scenario on your engine. It works most the time with lower voltage and sometimes it will miss a spark (this is when your check engine came up).

Other problems with rough RPMs can come from vacuum leaks (common on V8 engines) or problems with injectors, broken sensors, etc. If you have a small vacuum leak you won’t get Check engine light, but engine still will be acting strange.
thanks for the reply brother im actually not waiting for a message to tell me im trying to get some feedback from the forum and see if people have been through this problem my gasket was leaking i changed it its leaking again so its the valve cover now thats needs to be replaced i dont know if this will cause rough idle any thoughts brother?