E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Acting Strange RPM Problems Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Acting Strange RPM Problems Need Help

Whats up brothers im having a little bit of problem with my car it just randomly started happening when im driving the car on a cold start the rpm jumps up by itself and i hear the engine rev i dont know what is going on heres a video for you guys to see rpm jumps up without me pressing the pedal only happens in the morning i dont know what is wrong i let the car warm up 5 minutes before i drive

Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

I had a similar problem and had to change out my ignition coil and spark plugs.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
I had a similar problem and had to change out my ignition coil and spark plugs.
thanks for the reply brother the car gave me a service engine soon message when I turned the car on after not driving for a month the mechanic read misfire on cylinder #2 the next day the message went away the mechanic said not to worry about so I don't know what to do now
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

On the video I see that you have 122k miles. Did you replace spark plugs at 100k?
At minimum you need new ignition coil on cylinder #2.
My recommendation: full set of spark plugs and full set of ignition coils.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
On the video I see that you have 122k miles. Did you replace spark plugs at 100k?
+1 I don't believe in changing one spark plug at the time after 20+k miles. It will be best to change them oil and you'll notice the change.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes I did I don't know what to do men I'm so confused the car doesn't read any signs
Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Giowizzy
+1 I don't believe in changing one spark plug at the time after 20+k miles. It will be best to change them oil and you'll notice the change.
Oil was changed 5000 miles ago
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Members

Default RPM rough idle

I was having the same problem earlier this week, went to the stealer, I mean dealer for a recall for my 05 525i and also I received an Excessive Emissions warning through I-Drive.
They conducted a diagnostic for $175 to confirm the rough idle, and then gave me a quote of close to $2800 to repair the "Excessive Emissions" warning.
I left with a $340 labor charge, my two other warning light problems were not addressed, needless to say, when I got home I checked my air filter, removed it and noticed some huge oak leaves in there. I removed them, vacuumed the rest of the debris, started the car and the warning light disappeared, and the car is no longer running rough, especially when a stop or in park.
Try checking you air filter, it's a lot cheaper than the $2800 the stealer wanted to charge.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
Yes I did I don't know what to do men I'm so confused the car doesn't read any signs

Since you have new spark plugs I would replace the ignition coil on cylinder #2. New Bosch coil is about $35 and it is very easy to replace.
What engine do you have?
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ml?brand=bosch

Sometimes it is cheaper to replace all the coils as a preventive maintenance instead of paying the dealer to look for the problem.
From my own experience I can tell you that new set of coils make the engine run much better (545i with 116k miles)

Last edited by dawid_w; 12-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Since you have new spark plugs I would replace the ignition coil on cylinder #2. New Bosch coil is about $35 and it is very easy to replace.
What engine do you have?
05 2005 BMW 545i Ignition Coil - Engine Electrical - Bosch - PartsGeek

Sometimes it is cheaper to replace all the coils as a preventive maintenance instead of paying the dealer to look for the problem.
From my own experience I can tell you that new set of coils make the engine run much better (545i with 116k miles)
It doesn't read any codes I know new coils are better but what if that's not the problem I have like 30,0000 on my sparks my air filter hasent been changed for 2 years it's clean though

Quick Reply: Car Acting Strange RPM Problems Need Help