E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can you do this with an E60?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about this while ago and tried it on my Saab. Yes, it didn't work.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

several, myself include have tried it and it does work.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

On an E60 or on another car?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by merklebob' post='270759' date='Apr 18 2006, 01:27 PM
several, myself include have tried it and it does work.
I don't see how it can work. The remotes are radio based and the cell phone transmits sound, not radio frequencies.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Dickens' post='270677' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:05 PM
Since both remote entry batteries are dead on my current car, I cannot try at the moment. I'm not really concerned if I can do it on my current vehicle anyway. My coworker swears this is true story BTW* , so hold on to your seats.
One day we're in the office and my coworker, we'll call her Martha Kaclackin, comes up with this crazy story about accessing her vehicle after locking her keys in the car. She tells me "I was at the mall the other day and locked myself out of the car". She says she then phoned up her husband via cell, so that he may come to the rescue. Mr Kaclackin too busy watching the game, told her to "point the cell phone at the car honey". He then points the remote from his keychain at the phone he's using at home. She does what he says, and instantly the lights flash, and a click is heard. She said she hopped in her car and drove home.
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? And even so, will this be possible with the new E60?

I remember reading a couple of years back that (can't remember brand of car Merc or Bimmer) The engine changes the security code each time its started via a signal transmitted by the key. Apparently it was some form of security system built into the engine. If the statement is true would this affect the ability to unlock the car via the phone as my friend claims she and her hubby did?

There is a similar link about locking the keys in the car, I felt this was different, hence the starting of a new post. I did provide the link anyway.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19372

*BTW = By The Way

Lastly, anyone want to be the class guinea pig?
Dick

Ive tried it with my last 3 Beemer and it works great.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' post='270823' date='Apr 18 2006, 06:26 PM
I don't see how it can work. The remotes are radio based and the cell phone transmits sound, not radio frequencies.
though i dont think it should work with the security codes, it is certainly possible for transmission....a cell phone is actually a radio transmitter/receiver, how do you think the signal goes back and forth???

....heres a good read on how it really works

Let's start with the basics: In essence, a cell phone is a radio.

The Cell Approach

One of the most interesting things about a cell phone is that it is actually a radio -- an extremely sophisticated radio, but a radio nonetheless. The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, and wireless communication can trace its roots to the invention of the radio by Nikolai Tesla in the 1880s (formally presented in 1894 by a young Italian named Guglielmo Marconi). It was only natural that these two great technologies would eventually be combined.
In the dark ages before cell phones, people who really needed mobile-communications ability installed radio telephones in their cars. In the radio-telephone system, there was one central antenna tower per city, and perhaps 25 channels available on that tower. This central antenna meant that the phone in your car needed a powerful transmitter -- big enough to transmit 40 or 50 miles (about 70 km). It also meant that not many people could use radio telephones -- there just were not enough channels.

The genius of the cellular system is the division of a city into small cells. This allows extensive frequency reuse across a city, so that millions of people can use cell phones simultaneously.

Cell Phones and CBs
A good way to understand the sophistication of a cell phone is to compare it to a CB radio or a walkie-talkie.

Full-duplex vs. half-duplex - Both walkie-talkies and CB radios are half-duplex devices. That is, two people communicating on a CB radio use the same frequency, so only one person can talk at a time. A cell phone is a full-duplex device. That means that you use one frequency for talking and a second, separate frequency for listening. Both people on the call can talk at once.

Channels - A walkie-talkie typically has one channel, and a CB radio has 40 channels. A typical cell phone can communicate on 1,664 channels or more!

Range - A walkie-talkie can transmit about 1 mile (1.6 km) using a 0.25-watt transmitter. A CB radio, because it has much higher power, can transmit about 5 miles (8 km) using a 5-watt transmitter. Cell phones operate within cells, and they can switch cells as they move around. Cells give cell phones incredible range. Someone using a cell phone can drive hundreds of miles and maintain a conversation the entire time because of the cellular approach.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='270836' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:04 PM
though i dont think it should work with the security codes, it is certainly possible for transmission....a cell phone is actually a radio transmitter/receiver, how do you think the signal goes back and forth???

....heres a good read on how it really works
Let's start with the basics: In essence, a cell phone is a radio.
The Cell Approach

One of the most interesting things about a cell phone is that it is actually a radio -- an extremely sophisticated radio, but a radio nonetheless. The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, and wireless communication can trace its roots to the invention of the radio by Nikolai Tesla in the 1880s (formally presented in 1894 by a young Italian named Guglielmo Marconi). It was only natural that these two great technologies would eventually be combined.
In the dark ages before cell phones, people who really needed mobile-communications ability installed radio telephones in their cars. In the radio-telephone system, there was one central antenna tower per city, and perhaps 25 channels available on that tower. This central antenna meant that the phone in your car needed a powerful transmitter -- big enough to transmit 40 or 50 miles (about 70 km). It also meant that not many people could use radio telephones -- there just were not enough channels.

The genius of the cellular system is the division of a city into small cells. This allows extensive frequency reuse across a city, so that millions of people can use cell phones simultaneously.

Cell Phones and CBs
A good way to understand the sophistication of a cell phone is to compare it to a CB radio or a walkie-talkie.

Full-duplex vs. half-duplex - Both walkie-talkies and CB radios are half-duplex devices. That is, two people communicating on a CB radio use the same frequency, so only one person can talk at a time. A cell phone is a full-duplex device. That means that you use one frequency for talking and a second, separate frequency for listening. Both people on the call can talk at once.

Channels - A walkie-talkie typically has one channel, and a CB radio has 40 channels. A typical cell phone can communicate on 1,664 channels or more!

Range - A walkie-talkie can transmit about 1 mile (1.6 km) using a 0.25-watt transmitter. A CB radio, because it has much higher power, can transmit about 5 miles (8 km) using a 5-watt transmitter. Cell phones operate within cells, and they can switch cells as they move around. Cells give cell phones incredible range. Someone using a cell phone can drive hundreds of miles and maintain a conversation the entire time because of the cellular approach.

Wow. How wrong... yes a cell phone is a radio transmitter. But For a radio signal to be retransmitted you need a repeater. A cell tower is a kind of repeater but the cell phone itself is not. So there is NO WAY for a RADIO signal to be retransmitted by your cell phone. For that to happen your phone needs to recieve the radio signal from the remote. Many of the remotes I've seen are in the 450Mhz range. I don't know what frequency BMW uses in the FOBs but if someone can read the FCC ID on the back of theirs I can find out. So for the cell to even be capable to resending the signal it needs to listen on the FOBs frequency (lets say 450Mhz). We know that phones operate (in most places) in the 800Mhz-900Mhz/1800Mhz/1900Mhz ranges. Well outside the range of the cell phone. And then the other phone would need to be able to recreate the signal on the same frequency. The number of channels used and the fact that it's duplex or simplex has nothing to do with it.

For the record... I have 'walkie-talkie's' that transmit at 5w and the wattage has little to do with how far the signal will travel. CB's in the US operate at 4w and in AU it's ~40w for their UHF CB. How far a radio transmits depends on the frequency used and the height and type of antenna used.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='270845' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:33 PM
Wow. How wrong...
i just said that a cell phone is a radio transmitter to explain its not transmitting sound but radio waves as questioned prior
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As ScottishBimmer said above, this is an urban legend (and an old one at that...)
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/phonelocks.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...nlock_door.htm

http://www.truthminers.com/hoaxarticles/unlock.htm

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp
Old 04-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

So this has been around forever, eh? But if there are people who have tried it and it actually worked could this possibly dispel the title as it being an "urban legend"?

Also, what about the key changing the security code to the engine to prevent "theftage".
Theftage is a term created by my Acct Prof. His funny away of saying how to account for stolen items.
Dick

Quick Reply: Can you do this with an E60?