E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can someone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by alts' post='321005' date='Aug 10 2006, 04:53 PM
The rims are original, I think there is something to do with the tire manufacturer as the sidewalls may differ a little which gives the wheel smaller or bigger look.
Just had another look at the pictures and think you've hit the nail on the head... that's some very slick rubber you're running on there!

In your original quote you said it looked ridiculous, which is pretty far from the truth to put it lightly... your ride looks awesome mate
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 645 black sapphire metallic, 19" Style 166 (245/40 & 285/35 w 15mm spacers)

Thanks

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='321054' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:22 PM
Just had another look at the pictures and think you've hit the nail on the head... that's some very slick rubber you're running on there!

In your original quote you said it looked ridiculous, which is pretty far from the truth to put it lightly... your ride looks awesome mate
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributors

I guess the tire's overall diameter may be slightly different, but I can't imagine them being that different. They are the same tire size/profile right?

There have been a couple of Forum members whose cars were delivered to them without taking the shipping blocks out of the springs. These are the blocks that are put in there to protect the car while its being shipped to the dealer and the dealer is supposed to remove them when they prep the car. If these blocks are left in there they will make the car sit higher than it should. Here are a couple of links to threads by people who had this happen to them:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24592

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=shipping
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 645 black sapphire metallic, 19" Style 166 (245/40 & 285/35 w 15mm spacers)

Just checked, no shipping blocks here. But you are correct about the tires, they are the same size/profile. But thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='321268' date='Aug 11 2006, 12:59 AM
I guess the tire's overall diameter may be slightly different, but I can't imagine them being that different. They are the same tire size/profile right?

There have been a couple of Forum members whose cars were delivered to them without taking the shipping blocks out of the springs. These are the blocks that are put in there to protect the car while its being shipped to the dealer and the dealer is supposed to remove them when they prep the car. If these blocks are left in there they will make the car sit higher than it should. Here are a couple of links to threads by people who had this happen to them:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24592
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=shipping
Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

some other ppl have reported that their m suspension looks higher than the sport suspension. the sport suspension is indeed lower than the m. but keep in mind the sport suspension's ars/dd makes the ride height variable. for example, sometimes when you see a parked sport suspension, one side is actually a different height than the other, sometimes the height is higher, sometimes its lower, etc.

if it makes you feel any better, the m suspension shares most of its components with the m5 suspension, and the m5 is also higher than a e60 w/ sport suspension.

whenever i see a stock m5 it looks like a suv compared to my car...

lower your car then. that would be one of my first mods to an m5 if i had one...
Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

From what I know there is a difference between the sports suspension and the M-suspension.

To the best of my knowledge both lower the car by different amounts.

That's a European speaking - not sure whether same is true for cars delivered to the US of A.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

Yes i do agree and i have seen at a guy here with sport suspension the same thing. It seems indeed the sport suspenion makes the car look lower than with the M supension. He had the 124 style rims/tires. But this shouldn't be right...umm? I mean the M suspension should be the most hardcore and the lowest of them all. It feels like it is but it doesn't look like it. Also if we are to complain about sporty stuff here is my chance to complain about my sport seats. AWFULL (if none) lateral support. And those are called sport seats?!? I don't even want to think what standard feels like.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='322064' date='Aug 13 2006, 05:34 AM
Yes i do agree and i have seen at a guy here with sport suspension the same thing. It seems indeed the sport suspenion makes the car look lower than with the M supension. He had the 124 style rims/tires. But this shouldn't be right...umm? I mean the M suspension should be the most hardcore and the lowest of them all. It feels like it is but it doesn't look like it. Also if we are to complain about sporty stuff here is my chance to complain about my sport seats. AWFULL (if none) lateral support. And those are called sport seats?!? I don't even want to think what standard feels like.
i agree with you on the seats....since comfort seats are actually sportier than sports seats, its not hard to believe that sport suspension is actually lower than m suspension.

both dont make sense...