E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can RunFlats be repaired/plugged like regular tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Plug AND Patch. It's the only way to go. See: http://www.dunloptires.com/care/repair.html
Old 11-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 mettalic black/auburn

Just had a flat the night before thanksgiving. I drove from Brooklyn to NJ with about 10 psi in passenger rear tire. Filled it with air and it held another 30 miles further into NJ. Next morning an STS center agreed to plug it and I haven't had a problem since. I drive about 50 miles a day and hit 90 pretty often without any noticeable problems.[font=Arial]
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='204958' date='Nov 29 2005, 03:34 PM
I go inside and the equipment doesn't look any different from the standard tire machine. Turns out that it was probably just a standard machine, cause it took 2 people to yank on the deflated RFT for 30min to get it off the wheel!

HOLY! @*$&*@ You're lucky you didnt need a new wheel after that! They didnt scratch the rim? I'm suprised!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='204958' date='Nov 29 2005, 06:34 PM
Well I finally ended up getting the tire plugged from the inside today, after an entire afternoon of searching for a shop to do it in NYC. Every shop either didn't have the proper equipment to handle RFT's or weren't willing to do it.

I started at some cheap shops that I used before on my old Jeep but they said they didn't have the equipment to dismount a RFT from the wheel. They were willing to do it, but said they might scratch the rim by using the old equipment. They were willing to plug the tire from the outside.

Then I went to a shop I used before to install tires from tirerack, said they didn't have the proper equipment either and weren't willing to do it.

Then I tried another shop that's listed on tirerack but they said they couldn't repair RFT's.

I passed by a huge shop that specializes in tires, but they told me that RFT's CANNOT be repaired. When I told them it was possible, they then got to the point and said they weren't willing to do it, couldn't guanantee their work, couldn't guarantee my safety, etc.

I then tried a local mechanic. Nope, said RFT's are impossible to repair.

Went to a flat tire shop where I see a lot of taxis are getting their flats repaired. They said they could patch it on the outside, since their equipment couldn't handle an 18" wheel/tire.

Went to another flat tire shop that the taxis recommended. I mentioned RFT's and they said no problem. I go inside and the equipment doesn't look any different from the standard tire machine. Turns out that it was probably just a standard machine, cause it took 2 people to yank on the deflated RFT for 30min to get it off the wheel!

So I finally got it plugged. I bet they just thought it was a regular tire too. I'll be checking the pressure for the next few days to see if it worked.

RFT'S ARE SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$ TO FIX!
the shop where i do my tires all the time is just small,non-fancy,mostly dealing with commercial vehicles(vans,trucks,big truck),i know they did not have any special equipment,they did not have to pull the tire off the rim,they just plugged it and balanced.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alexnyc' post='205114
Well I finally ended up getting the tire plugged from the inside today, after an entire afternoon of searching for a shop to do it in NYC. Every shop either didn't have the proper equipment to handle RFT's or weren't willing to do it.

I started at some cheap shops that I used before on my old Jeep but they said they didn't have the equipment to dismount a RFT from the wheel. They were willing to do it, but said they might scratch the rim by using the old equipment. They were willing to plug the tire from the outside.

Then I went to a shop I used before to install tires from tirerack, said they didn't have the proper equipment either and weren't willing to do it.

Then I tried another shop that's listed on tirerack but they said they couldn't repair RFT's.

I passed by a huge shop that specializes in tires, but they told me that RFT's CANNOT be repaired. When I told them it was possible, they then got to the point and said they weren't willing to do it, couldn't guanantee their work, couldn't guarantee my safety, etc.

I then tried a local mechanic. Nope, said RFT's are impossible to repair.

Went to a flat tire shop where I see a lot of taxis are getting their flats repaired. They said they could patch it on the outside, since their equipment couldn't handle an 18" wheel/tire.

Went to another flat tire shop that the taxis recommended. I mentioned RFT's and they said no problem. I go inside and the equipment doesn't look any different from the standard tire machine. Turns out that it was probably just a standard machine, cause it took 2 people to yank on the deflated RFT for 30min to get it off the wheel!

So I finally got it plugged. I bet they just thought it was a regular tire too. I'll be checking the pressure for the next few days to see if it worked.

RFT'S ARE SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$ TO FIX!
the shop where i do my tires all the time is just small,non-fancy,mostly dealing with commercial vehicles(vans,trucks,big truck),i know they did not have any special equipment,they did not have to pull the tire off the rim,they just plugged it and balanced.
[/quote]

As far as I know plugs should only be fitted from the inside, especially on high performance tyres.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='205014' date='Nov 29 2005, 08:18 PM
Plug AND Patch. It's the only way to go. See: http://www.dunloptires.com/care/repair.html

And all that mumbo jumbo is for REGULAR tires...

Ray Hull