E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Can I use my Potenza Runflats (Summer) tires tonight and tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Guys, I am concerned about this "composite" getting hard and plastic like if I take my car on a 85 mile ride through mountain roads (casual driving, not racing).

How bad/dangerous is it to run my car through this terrain and temperatures tonight and tomorrow? Have to go to wedding and don't want to wind up being the funeral!

Thanks and please don't say check tirerack.com and temp codes. That doesn't apply to real life typically. That's all legaleeze.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='727500' date='Nov 21 2008, 07:40 AM
Guys, I am concerned about this "composite" getting hard and plastic like if I take my car on a 85 mile ride through mountain roads (casual driving, not racing).

How bad/dangerous is it to run my car through this terrain and temperatures tonight and tomorrow? Have to go to wedding and don't want to wind up being the funeral!

Thanks and please don't say check tirerack.com and temp codes. That doesn't apply to real life typically. That's all legaleeze.
I have these tires- great perfromance above 45 or so degrees but they turn to stone below that- truly useless at 30 so be careful- I have been stuck in less than an inch of snow and I grew up in new England so love to drive it! I can't believe this could possibly hurt the tire but it will just provide terrible traction.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Not caring about ride quality I care greatly about ride SAFETY?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

wow....that bad in cold weather? It's suppose to be around 20 here tonight.....I guess I should take it easy as well
Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

check tirerack
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

gregg- like i stated in your other similar thread, you will have NO problems in the freezing cold... i have the same tires all winter long. ive been doing this for many years; using dedicated summer tires in winter. you just cant drive in snow! plus with 85 miles you'll warm up the tires no problem.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='727500' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:40 AM

I drove on mine last winter. Slick in the snow. You can do it but be careful.

BTW I have my full set of potenzas for sale. Only 1000 miles on them. 275s 18 in back 245 18s in front.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

As long as there is no snow on the road you'll be just fine. Take it easy for the first 5-6 miles until tires warm up a little.
In a light snow (2 inches) the car still will be drivable but you will have to be very careful and smooth.
I drove through 3 winters already on summer tires and IMHO they are better on a dry road that winter tires but as soon as there are at least 2 inches of snow all I dare to do is to get home ASAP (10 miles from work).
Old 11-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Winter tires for the winter gregg2gs, and summer tires for the summer.

The best choice is 17" 225/55 good winter tires on OEM wheels.

See my earlier posts for the best tires.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Contributors

be careful for sure, these tires really are useless below 40*F and mountain twisties are pushing your luck..

....u need to worry about black ice and the road surfaces freezing as much as actual snow..regardless of what u wind up doing this weekend, u need a dedicated set of winter tires for ny driving, too much to risk otherwise...good luck

Quick Reply: Can I use my Potenza Runflats (Summer) tires tonight and tomorrow