E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cali Dock Strike - Effecting Arrival of Ships

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone in Cali provide feedback on this. What is my stealer talking about??? Supposedly there is a strike or talk of strike by dock workers in Cali that could effect arrival dates? Cali guys, is this true? I was told all our cars could be setting out in the Pacific, along with ever other arriving import/export ship, until the issue is resolved.

Vali guys, take a took out on the horizon... Do you see ships!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

if its true, thats so G.A.Y~~wats wrong wit them???? tell them 2 work their ass up rite away!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ziabingi' date='Nov 12 2004, 01:21 PM
Can anyone in Cali provide feedback on this.? What is my stealer talking about???? Supposedly there is a strike or talk of strike by dock workers in Cali that could effect arrival dates?? Cali guys, is this true?? I was told all our cars could be setting out in the Pacific, along with ever other arriving import/export ship, until the issue is resolved.?

Vali guys, take a took out on the horizon... Do you see ships!
[snapback]55393[/snapback]
Where did you hear this? My car is scheduled to arrive in Oxnard on 11/14.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Members

I don't think there is another expected dock strike. The problem is that the docks have not recovered from the last strike some time ago. The docks are still extremely understaffed / undertrained so many ships are delayed because it takes too long to unload. So yes it is possible that vehicle deliveries could end up delayed.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Nov 12 2004, 02:23 PM
I don't think there is another expected dock strike.? The problem is that the docks have not recovered from the last strike some time ago.? The docks are still extremely understaffed / undertrained so many ships are delayed because it takes too long to unload.? So yes it is possible that vehicle deliveries could end up delayed.
[snapback]55442[/snapback]
I talked to a guard at the docks in Oxnard and he doesn't know of any current labor dispute.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributors

As far as I can tell there is a large backlog of ships to unload. There is not recently a strike and one is not expected. The number of ships trying to unload Christmas goodies is adding to the problem. The LA/Long Beach and Oxnard ports are both jammed up with traffic. Ships are just sitting at sea, waiting. Sorry guys it could take a little longer than you had hoped.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Contributors

I doubt that any general backlog in offloading containerized or bulk cargo will impact WW operations at Oxnard (Port Hueneme). As I understand it the facility there is in large part dedicated to RORO operations in support of vehicle imports and processing through the VPC (or I suppose it's VDC now). They are the major U.S. port of export for citrus however. There's little reason for some other type of vessel to tie up at the warf that's used nor is there anything to do other than drive the cars off the ship.

Now I may be whistling Dixie, maybe I should have gone on the last tour trip out there.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Members

Oh, big dissapointing after the big positive surprise..
My 545 seems to be on FUJI arriving at 11/14. Still hope to get it before T-giving holiday...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I can see the ships from my office in Long Beach...I see about a dozen. I hear the problem is not enough longshoremen to unload the ships fast enough.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

a) The back log is at LB/LA harbor, not Oxnard.

b) BMW only off loads in Port Hueneme.

c) There is no strike so quit spraying the rumors.

JC!!

beewang

Quick Reply: Cali Dock Strike - Effecting Arrival of Ships