E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2014
Engine: 550i

I don't know if what you are experiencing is certain vents blowing hot while some may be blowing cold.
If not all the vents are blowing hot, it may be that some of your blend actuators have gone bad. See this thread:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...eously-145597/
Old 05-06-2017, 10:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i under construction

Originally Posted by KyleB
The cooling fan in E60 is controlled by a PWM signal directly from the DME. It is expensive because there is essentially a control unit that is part of the fan assembly. there is no outboard fan relay or controller; the blade, motor, control unit, and shroud are serviced only as a complete assembly.

I have no idea if an aftermarket fan will work. It may, or it may not, I simply don't know. maybe someone else can chime in. what I will say is make sure that you 100% need a fan before you buy one, even the aftermarkets aren't cheap. do you know how your mechanic determined the fan isn't operating?

I'm in the process of fitting an aftermarket fan. Not simply because I had problems with the stock one but because I need more engine room clearance. From the knowledge I've gained is that without and aftermarket relay and engine codes, there isn't a way to use a plug and play aftermarket fan. However I live in the heat of south Florida so having my cooling fan running 24/7 while I'm driving really isn't that bad for my engine. I know that the life span of my fan engine might not last longer than normal bit.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Thanks for chiming in guys but my problem is not the vents, my condenser fan does not come on when the A\C is on therefore I get no cold air while in traffic and by aftermarket I meant oem replacememnt of other brands.
If it happens to be that the fan is bad I don't want to buy a non BMW brand and have to replace it again in 6 months.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ftl09bmw535i
I'm in the process of fitting an aftermarket fan. Not simply because I had problems with the stock one but because I need more engine room clearance. From the knowledge I've gained is that without and aftermarket relay and engine codes, there isn't a way to use a plug and play aftermarket fan. However I live in the heat of south Florida so having my cooling fan running 24/7 while I'm driving really isn't that bad for my engine. I know that the life span of my fan engine might not last longer than normal bit.
good to know, please post back once you have the fan in the car and let us know how it worked out.

I noticed a lot of the participants in this thread are all in FL....
Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
good to know, please post back once you have the fan in the car and let us know how it worked out.

I noticed a lot of the participants in this thread are all in FL....
Yea, we know it's getting hot here, I was in the Tampa bay area a few weeks ago, really nice!
I have been doing some reading and some visual testing, before I dish out 500 bucks for a oem fan, this is what's going on.. the fan runs on and off to keep the engine at operating temp, when A\C is turned on the fan is suppose to come on and run constant, it doesn't.
What I've read is that this could be the temp sensor on the lower radiator hose, a 20 bucks item which I already ordered.
If this is not the issue I will do what KyleB suggested and try to diagnose with INPA.
I will let you all know but if anyone had a similar problem and foud a solution please share
Old 05-14-2017, 02:35 PM
New Members

Update: I replaced the lower radiator hose and the coolant temp sensor on it (it was leaking a bit) the fan runs normal for cooling the engine but won't stay on when the AC is turned on, thinking of getting rid of this car.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 PM
New Members

Update: I had the a\c check again, the fan still wont come on with the a\c on but it will cool at high speeds, that tells me compressor is good but fan is needed for stop and go traffic.
I also unplugged the fan connector when I plug it back in the fan runs fast and constant, WTF?
I'm thinking of a cheap solution, a universal fan in front of the condenser, i,e E39.
Opinions, inputs, suggestions?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

The cooling fan, when the a/c is on is controlled by the IHKA . The IHKA sends a signal to the DME and the DME sends a pulsed signal to the cooling fan. The IHKA receives a signal from the pressure sensor on the high pressure refrigerant line inboard and below the strut tower on the passenger side. I would check this pressure sensor.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Quit messing around and take it to a shop that knows how to test it. If the main cooling fan runs and keeps the engine from overheating, it isn't the fan. The main fan has a power-up self diagnostic and would throw a code if it wasn't working.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
The cooling fan, when the a/c is on is controlled by the IHKA . The IHKA sends a signal to the DME and the DME sends a pulsed signal to the cooling fan. The IHKA receives a signal from the pressure sensor on the high pressure refrigerant line inboard and below the strut tower on the passenger side. I would check this pressure sensor.
Good info, I'll check that, thanks.