E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006
Default A/C question

I have done some searching but can't find any specifics I have a 2006 530i and the a/c blows hot air, a mechanic checked everything and determined the fan isn't working.
I tend to agree since it blows a little colder when on the freeway and air rushing thru the grill.
no my question is what is so special about this fan that cost an arm a leg? and which after marked fan brand is just a good as oem?
Thanks in advance people.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by dakest
I have done some searching but can't find any specifics.
Try searching for "AC blower" instead of "fan".

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...cement-120792/
Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I have done some searching but can't find any specifics I have a 2006 530i and the a/c blows hot air, a mechanic checked everything and determined the fan isn't working.
I tend to agree since it blows a little colder when on the freeway and air rushing thru the grill.
no my question is what is so special about this fan that cost an arm a leg? and which after marked fan brand is just a good as oem?
Thanks in advance people.
The cooling fan in E60 is controlled by a PWM signal directly from the DME. It is expensive because there is essentially a control unit that is part of the fan assembly. there is no outboard fan relay or controller; the blade, motor, control unit, and shroud are serviced only as a complete assembly.

I have no idea if an aftermarket fan will work. It may, or it may not, I simply don't know. maybe someone else can chime in. what I will say is make sure that you 100% need a fan before you buy one, even the aftermarkets aren't cheap. do you know how your mechanic determined the fan isn't operating?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:49 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Try searching for "AC blower" instead of "fan".

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...cement-120792/
The issue is with the condenser fan not the blower
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
The cooling fan in E60 is controlled by a PWM signal directly from the DME. It is expensive because there is essentially a control unit that is part of the fan assembly. there is no outboard fan relay or controller; the blade, motor, control unit, and shroud are serviced only as a complete assembly.

I have no idea if an aftermarket fan will work. It may, or it may not, I simply don't know. maybe someone else can chime in. what I will say is make sure that you 100% need a fan before you buy one, even the aftermarkets aren't cheap. do you know how your mechanic determined the fan isn't operating?
He tested the output to the fan and is good then tested the fan and did'nt work. the fan doesn't come on when the ac is on, I guess that means the high speed.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

He tested the output to the fan and is good then tested the fan and did'nt work. the fan doesn't come on when the ac is on, I guess that means the high speed.
there really isn't a 'high' speed and 'low' speed to this fan.

forget everything you know about old school BMWs. There is a single fan for both engine cooling and AC condenser cooling. It is controlled by a PWM signal it receives from the DME. If he's simply looking for 12v at the connector he's not going to see it, he needs to be looking for a PWM signal.

you ideally need to have someone with some sort of BMW specific software run your fan through the test procedure similar to what is in INPA (you check for fan operation at certain percentage levels). you can do it with an oscilloscope too, but I'd have more confidence in condemning a fan if I used something specific to BMW.

like I said, make sure you genuinely need a fan before you blindly throw a fan in the car. you very well could need a fan, they are definitely known to go bad.

good luck.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:44 PM
New Members

there really isn't a 'high' speed and 'low' speed to this fan.

forget everything you know about old school BMWs. There is a single fan for both engine cooling and AC condenser cooling. It is controlled by a PWM signal it receives from the DME. If he's simply looking for 12v at the connector he's not going to see it, he needs to be looking for a PWM signal.

you ideally need to have someone with some sort of BMW specific software run your fan through the test procedure similar to what is in INPA (you check for fan operation at certain percentage levels). you can do it with an oscilloscope too, but I'd have more confidence in condemning a fan if I used something specific to BMW.

like I said, make sure you genuinely need a fan before you blindly throw a fan in the car. you very well could need a fan, they are definitely known to go bad.

good luck.
I agree, I don 't want to buy a fan and then it's not the problem, I already did with the compressor, good thing i hadn't install it, I might sell it..
I have inpa and the cable but I'm a complete noob when it comes to coding and diagnostics, if someone is willing to show me the steps I'll appreciate it
Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

I agree, I don 't want to buy a fan and then it's not the problem, I already did with the compressor, good thing i hadn't install it, I might sell it..
I have inpa and the cable but I'm a complete noob when it comes to coding and diagnostics, if someone is willing to show me the steps I'll appreciate it
if you have a working copy of INPA and a cable you can test the fan yourself. PM me and i'll walk you through the steps, I'll have to connect to my car to give you the sequence, can't remember it off-hand.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:22 PM
New Members

if you have a working copy of INPA and a cable you can test the fan yourself. PM me and i'll walk you through the steps, I'll have to connect to my car to give you the sequence, can't remember it off-hand.

I have to do this on my day off, my job is a time guzzler.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

I have to do this on my day off, my job is a time guzzler.
I know the feeling