E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A/C not cool? Texas heat or issue with the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i | Sport Package | Auburn Interior | Silver Grey Metallic Exterior

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did make sure the idrive settings were set properly and they were. Then I took it to the shop.

This is exactly what they said
"found A/C charge only slightly low(.33LBS) recharged but no pressure drop on low side compressor not engaging.No faults stored in HVAC. A/C started working again before final diagnosis."

The mechanic also said something about a relay controlling the compressor from switching on an off and they couldn't get it to turn the compressor on. They still have to diagnose the issue.

Kinda bummed that they didn't get it resolved even thought they had all day to diagnose it. Luckily they only charged me $25 for the recharging the system and didn't charge me for checking it out. I am taking it back to the shop Tuesday and as of right now the weather here in Dallas area is hitting triple digits temps......Tuesday cant come any sooner.

So my question to all of you. Should I expect to replace the compressor or anything else that may arise?

Thanks again for all suggestions.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I am in el paso and it is hot here as well but my ac kicks and I have not had to recharge since I bought the car new in 2008. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
I think that was a pathetic response from Peake. My dash read 102 yesterday and my A/C blew cool air within 10 seconds and was cold within 2 minutes.
Update on the bad A/C that we were told was normal. My wife went to pick up the car and it took even longer to get cool so she complained to the service manager. He goes out and after looking around determines what we said all along: the AC is broken. Another wasted trip because they did not listen to us in the first place .

Bdaddylo: that's the same thing my wife told the SA that the loaner 328 does not take 2-5 minutes to get blow cool air(not 110 degrees) nor did my prior 525 or X5.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Originally Posted by gotabyte
Update on the bad A/C that we were told was normal. My wife went to pick up the car and it took even longer to get cool so she complained to the service manager. He goes out and after looking around determines what we said all along: the AC is broken. Another wasted trip because they did not listen to us in the first place .

Bdaddylo: that's the same thing my wife told the SA that the loaner 328 does not take 2-5 minutes to get blow cool air(not 110 degrees) nor did my prior 525 or X5.

So did they diagnose what needed to be done? My freon is full, fresh new carbon cabin filters, no fault code readings and it takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to get cold. :thumbsdown: There has to be something wrong! Let me know if you get it resolved! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Have you tried changing the settings from heat to cool in idrive? I know this may seem common sense to you but I had no idea how to do it until about a month or two after owning my car. I'm not talking about the temperature dials, but actually in idrive where you adjust the fan speeds for both driver and passenger sides. Make sure the rectangle bars are set to max setting and are blue.

If you already knew this, please disregard.

I did not know this! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by epilithic
I did not know this! Thanks!
No problem! I knew I wasn't the only one lol.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

i am in dallas. that weird odor you smell has been something i have noticed in every bmw ever produced that i have been in, so that in and of itself is probably not a problem.

10-15 minutes seems excessive, though i will tell you that i find my bmw's cooling system to be lacking in the texas heat. no more than 5 minutes should it take until you start feeling colder air. also, i second the comment about changing your microfilters. it definitely helped my car produce cooler air.

btw, topic stealing, but does anyone ever get water coming out of your AC when you first turn it on? i've been having that happening lately.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
So did they diagnose what needed to be done? My freon is full, fresh new carbon cabin filters, no fault code readings and it takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to get cold. :thumbsdown: There has to be something wrong! Let me know if you get it resolved! Thanks!
They diagnosed it as a bad compressor. Car will be picked up tomorrow and we'll see how it does. I'll post what the work order stated.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by gotabyte
They diagnosed it as a bad compressor. Car will be picked up tomorrow and we'll see how it does. I'll post what the work order stated.
My guess would have been the compressor as well. Hope everything gets resolved.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Members

Update and the compressor was replaced and works fine now. There is an SIB 64-10-07 delayed startup results listed on the work order.

Quick Reply: A/C not cool? Texas heat or issue with the car?