E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bust-A-Myth about the E60 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
I have on several occasions left my car sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks and have NEVER had any issues with startup! Of course that being stated, I will probably have TWO dead batteries when I get back from my trip this month!!
That dam'd Murphy dude, eh

Originally Posted by swajames
The general consensus on the Porsche forums seems to be that cars which are used regularly tend to be less problematIc that the garage queens which see far less frequent use. I agree with this and feel it broadly applies to almost any car. I also agree that not all miles are created equal. I'd far rather buy a higher mileage car that spent its life on the freeways than a lower mileage car that had served mainly short commuting duty.
Very well put. I too have always thought that cars that are driven often get a better "work out", so to speak.

Originally Posted by ponnu
I drive my car only in the weekends that too about 40 to 50 miles, I have been doing this for the past 2 years. 'Touch wood' I have not had any battery issue or any other starting or running issues so far. Its still under original battery. Additional info, When I got my car serviced last time (final service before original warranty expired) SA had mentioned some thing like 'Battery Flat - Re-charging test' (I will post the exact wording after going through the service report), I am not sure what is that..
If your car's getting to that point where a new battery may be needed, I recommend you just replace it. I did, and so far, also knock on wood, I've been able to avoid any issues with charging.

Originally Posted by melimel
i friggen love my car, thats all i have to say.. friggen bitch i LOVE HER.. night all

had a few drinks out with my mom tonight.. thats my fierceness talking, now im going to get my cozies on and lurk around the house.. hahaha
Yeeeee I love mine too! See, that's why I own it LOL - this way I've got no excuse or a way out
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Contributors

So what I'm gonna do is try to drive my car less and less now and I'll post what issues (if any - hopefully, none) will transpire. So far, my suspicion is on the thermostat, because that's the one preventative care thing I have NOT done yet. Also, haven't done the belts (car's at approx 65k miles right now), but I seriously hope this will not fail without any forward notice, cuz that'd just be too messed up - even for an E60 Also, something tells me maybe some kind of a software issue may - or may not, hopefully - arise. We'll see. So far, I'm one day into this not at all unlike Seinfield episode abstinence. Gotta check on my baby soon though - I miss her. Oh, and just for the record, no trickle charger, car's parked outdoors.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by melimel
i friggen love my car, thats all i have to say.. friggen bitch i LOVE HER.. night all

had a few drinks out with my mom tonight.. thats my fierceness talking, now im going to get my cozies on and lurk around the house.. hahaha
Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Good point, I almost forgot about the profiles. So who knows, how long does it take for the profile to reset to the "new" driving style?

I couldn't have said it better myself

Never heard about that, is that legit?

If you were my son and put a 1000 miles on my car, I'd disown you... just saying
lol
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Well, what do you know! Just one day skipped, took a 40 mile drive, at the end of it: "add oil" message oh well, guess it ain't a myth - you better drive the E60 as much as you can, or it'll go bad in a hurry.

Now, how about that myth that Calton isn't showing to the Bear Mtn Meet cuz he's GAAAAAY?! Let's see if we can bust that up
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

I'll bust your myth alright. My E60 was not driven from September 1st 2009 till December 22nd 2009. That's almost 4 month. Started like a charm.
It had 42k on the odo.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Damn John... you put less than 200 miles on your car per month? I do that easily in a few days, lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
i didnt start my car for 2 weeks for starts like a charm. I drive it maybe once a week. I dont even know if I put 200 miles a month anymore. I do occasionally start it. At least once a week. Mute ur music and turn off the AC before you shut the car off.

jeeeze. I got mine in January and I've put almost 10K miles on it lol
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Looks like the next myth to bust is that John's car actually has an engine
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ponnu
I drive my car only in the weekends that too about 40 to 50 miles, I have been doing this for the past 2 years. 'Touch wood' I have not had any battery issue or any other starting or running issues so far. Its still under original battery. Additional info, When I got my car serviced last time (final service before original warranty expired) SA had mentioned some thing like 'Battery Flat - Re-charging test' (I will post the exact wording after going through the service report), I am not sure what is that..
hahaha "touch wood"