E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bust-A-Myth about the E60 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
First Myth I'd love to have busted is that the E60 does not "like" it when you let her sit too long without driving. I've read stories about people getting told by their SA's that you have to drive the E60 at least several times a week, so that it does not develop any problems. I'd love to have this myth busted, because every time I let my car sit for more than a day or two, I'm afraid something's gonna break when I get back to driving it

I'm betting this is true man. These cars are like horses, you better ride em hard or they're going to keel over and die on your ass!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I drive my car every 3rd or 4th day and no problems.

Once or twice a month I drive for more than an half hour
to keep the battery alive.

Under 14.000 km's in two and a half years
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i didnt start my car for 2 weeks for starts like a charm. I drive it maybe once a week. I dont even know if I put 200 miles a month anymore. I do occasionally start it. At least once a week. Mute ur music and turn off the AC before you shut the car off.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
Mute ur music and turn off the AC before you shut the car off.
+1 this will not put too much work on the battery when starting the car next time
must do this on Jap car.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Dude, let's not bring in dealership sales prep practices into this - I had worked as a salesman for new and used, and had been a GM and finance closer for a "bank" (couple Israelis financing for copious fees, basically). I know a little bit about that

And guys, please, let's remember that the concern is not only the battery - there has been plenty of threads about the battery drains, there's no need to make another one. What I'm trying to figure out is, whether the car is better off when it is driven a "lot" or a "little" (relative terms, but I trust majority of us will have approximately the same idea of either).

Finally, Pingy, you got beef?! j/k
right
then if you don't drive it that much or push it to over 4k rpm then the car will not sing for you.
When I went back to UK last year I drove my mums 118 and I know that she never rev it pass the 3k mark which make the car not response as fast.
So I borrowed it for 10 day of my holiday and did 1000mile on it and reved it well over the 4 to 5k mark and after a few day of driving the car was abit alive. Also the car learns how you drive and behave.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I have on several occasions left my car sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks and have NEVER had any issues with startup! Of course that being stated, I will probably have TWO dead batteries when I get back from my trip this month!!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The general consensus on the Porsche forums seems to be that cars which are used regularly tend to be less problematIc that the garage queens which see far less frequent use. I agree with this and feel it broadly applies to almost any car. I also agree that not all miles are created equal. I'd far rather buy a higher mileage car that spent its life on the freeways than a lower mileage car that had served mainly short commuting duty.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

I drive my car only in the weekends that too about 40 to 50 miles, I have been doing this for the past 2 years. 'Touch wood' I have not had any battery issue or any other starting or running issues so far. Its still under original battery. Additional info, When I got my car serviced last time (final service before original warranty expired) SA had mentioned some thing like 'Battery Flat - Re-charging test' (I will post the exact wording after going through the service report), I am not sure what is that..
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i friggen love my car, thats all i have to say.. friggen bitch i LOVE HER.. night all

had a few drinks out with my mom tonight.. thats my fierceness talking, now im going to get my cozies on and lurk around the house.. hahaha
Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sixcard
The ?Driving Profile? bit, from my experience, may or may not be a myth. But it?s effect is damn sure damn real whatever the cause.

I say ?may or may not be a myth? because, as Rudy has noted there may be some malfunction not easily detected by the driver (or dealer service for that matter). And the SAs may well be stretching our chain. If this is the case then BMW is not doing their customers right. And I am at the mercy of what they tell me.

What I do know is that my 550 has experienced the symptoms, loss of Active Steering and loss of accumulated cluster data and current time when starting after a long time idle or periods of many short, low speed trips. I also know that the problem is solved by my installing a float charger that is connected most of the idle time.

When the car was my daily driver (which never had been many miles) the amp deficiency occurred only on occasion. Now the car is Mrs. sixcard daily and she only uses it weekly (nails, haircut and Wal*Mart).

Rudy may well be right in his analysis, but the issue is still there and it can be avoided with a battery charger?s use. The fact that some of us do and some of us don?t have the problem supports Rudy?s thoughts.

IMO, you won?t ?break? anything. I don't think this issue will have a long term negative effect on the car itself (although sitting idle may). It may be more of an issue with an older battery but my battery was not old when this first happened. But, if you experience this it will be the result of non/low usage. It is annoying and for my part I would have done the charger thing even if it was a rare occurrence.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

sixcard
Good point, I almost forgot about the profiles. So who knows, how long does it take for the profile to reset to the "new" driving style?

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I'm betting this is true man. These cars are like horses, you better ride em hard or they're going to keel over and die on your ass!
I couldn't have said it better myself

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
i didnt start my car for 2 weeks for starts like a charm. I drive it maybe once a week. I dont even know if I put 200 miles a month anymore. I do occasionally start it. At least once a week. Mute ur music and turn off the AC before you shut the car off.
Never heard about that, is that legit?

Originally Posted by pinguhk
right
then if you don't drive it that much or push it to over 4k rpm then the car will not sing for you.
When I went back to UK last year I drove my mums 118 and I know that she never rev it pass the 3k mark which make the car not response as fast.
So I borrowed it for 10 day of my holiday and did 1000mile on it and reved it well over the 4 to 5k mark and after a few day of driving the car was abit alive. Also the car learns how you drive and behave.
If you were my son and put a 1000 miles on my car, I'd disown you... just saying

Quick Reply: Bust-A-Myth about the E60 Thread