E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buried the needle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i - Dinan Stage 1, Sprintbooster, Sport wheel retrofit w Paddle shift kit, Nav, Sat Radio, Logic 7, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium, Bluetooth, Rear Sun Shades, PDC...and some other stuff...

Had the dinan stage 1 installed recently which, among many things, removes the speed governor. While travelling home from a business trip to the inetrior of BC I took the Coquihalla Hwy, which is a beautiful stretch of road that runs through the BC Rocky Mtn range and has lovely twists and turns, as well as a couple straightaways.

Anyway, it was a perfect day...clear visibility, dry roads, 33 C (91 F) and I enjoyed an adrenaline rush whilst pinning the speedometer at 260km/hr (161.5 mph) and all I can say is WOW...what a car! I felt very confidant driving this speed in this car...it was smooth and felt connected to the road.

Quite a difference from my former Audi A6 4.2.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

I have yet to find a place to take my car and test its limits; I honestly don't think I've taken it over 80. I don't do any highway driving, usually just city driving when heading over to a bud's house. Suburbs kinda suck in that sense.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

The need for speed...sounds like you've found the cure!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60714' post='954324' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:36 PM
I have yet to find a place to take my car and test its limits; I honestly don't think I've taken it over 80. I don't do any highway driving, usually just city driving when heading over to a bud's house. Suburbs kinda suck in that sense.

What the hell? You're from where I'm at and I've taken my little 530 to speeds in excess of 125. Just get on 355 at night or the 90 and let it rip man!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:46 PM
CCS
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI

That is incredible! If I get to a hundred I think that I am being such a law breaker
Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Wow, there are still people who think speeding on a public road is "great". Pity despite good case examples and sad stories, some still never listen. One only needs to ask the police or ambulance people about some cases they have to attend due to people speeding on public roads.

There can be no real "perfect" condition to speed on the road. It should be done on a private race track in my opinion. Even then, speed can be a killer. I am sure we are all too aware of a member in M5board who tried his dad's M5 on a airfield and never lived to post pictures of his car the next day as promised.

Yes he buried the needle and then his parents had to bury him along with his 4 friends.

Good luck guys... you are going to need it if you think speeding on public road is ok.

cheers
Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='954324' date='Jul 25 2009, 05:36 PM

What? I've taken my new car over 125mph already on a nice stretch of road which only took a few seconds to reach from 65 mph cruising speed.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Contributors

i took mine to 140 somewhere in Arkansas on the way home from buying it two weeks ago. i can't wait to go home to North Dakota where i'll find what it can top out at.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i - Dinan Stage 1, Sprintbooster, Sport wheel retrofit w Paddle shift kit, Nav, Sat Radio, Logic 7, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium, Bluetooth, Rear Sun Shades, PDC...and some other stuff...

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='954349' date='Jul 25 2009, 03:13 PM
Wow, there are still people who think speeding on a public road is "great". Pity despite good case examples and sad stories, some still never listen. One only needs to ask the police or ambulance people about some cases they have to attend due to people speeding on public roads.

There can be no real "perfect" condition to speed on the road. It should be done on a private race track in my opinion. Even then, speed can be a killer. I am sure we are all too aware of a member in M5board who tried his dad's M5 on a airfield and never lived to post pictures of his car the next day as promised.

Yes he buried the needle and then his parents had to bury him along with his 4 friends.

Good luck guys... you are going to need it if you think speeding on public road is ok.

cheers
I appreciate what you're saying and words of caution duly noted.

In Canada, there are many stretches of high quality well maintained public roadways where, at the right time day or night, you are the only person driving on it. This was the case on the day I enjoyed my experience. I was in the mountians with no civilization within 90 minutes either side of where I was driving...save for parhaps the forest creatures. Two lanes all to me, the surrounding trees, and the sky above. It was remarkable.

Here are some pics of the along the Coquihalla Hwy.
Attached Thumbnails Buried the needle-1_1244049041_snowcapped_mountains_along_the_coquilhalla.jpg   Buried the needle-1_1244049041_along_the_coquihalla_highway_2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributors

i have done 155 more times then i can count on the empty crosstown at night. i guess i dont fear speed as i have had my bike over 180.

i havent had the car up over 80 in a while as i have steel coming through the back tires and i am waiting to purchase wheels next month.

Quick Reply: Buried the needle