E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Break bleed. Urgent help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021 | 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Go to realoem.com to see if the parts are the same.
Old 06-23-2021 | 07:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N52K

Update : I could not go to the junkyard to get the new ABS pump, but I did build a pressure bleeder. Long story short it had some leaks in the cap which I was able to solve with some epoxy and patience.
I got the ABS pump in the car to work properly by doing this, this may work for everyone assuming you do not have a broken ABS unit.

1 - remove the pipe for front left from the pump. There is markings as to which pipe goes where. its in german ( VL means front left).
2 - connect the pressure bleeder at 15 PSI ( not more).
3 - pumped the break pedals until it was hard and noticed it was hard.
4 - check the ABS pump, I saw some fluid coming out, just barely may be a few drops. this made me think it might just be air trapped inside. Just to make sure I pumped the brakes again and used a 1/2 inch wrench to hit the metal part of the pump ( housing ) to free the bubbles and I saw a big bubble exit. This was the confirmation I needed.
5 - connect the pipe back again, and connected the vacuum bleeder from harbor freight at the caliper bleed screw.
6 - connect ISTA with engine running and started the bleed procedure after pumping the break pedals hard.
7 - Repeat the steps until fluid flow is good and without bubbles.

So the combined pressure of pressure bleeder, ISTA, pumping the brakes and applying vacuum at the caliper bleed screw helped suck all the bubbles out and bleed properly. Now the left brakes work well, in fact too good that right one is feeling low on breaking power. now that I know I have fluid flow in all calipers, I will bleed all 4 sides again with the pressure bleeder and ISTA to remove any air bubbles that may be trapped inside. I have so far used less than a liter ( I have maybe a few ml remaining in the 1L bottle) I have another 1L of the same fluid which I will use to flush out the entire line again. So glad I gave it one last shot before I was going to get a replacement one..

Hope this helps someone. Also a thing to note, as far as I have searched all the forums, INPA cannot communicate with DSC in E60 or E61. Only ISTA can. So you absolutely need a pressure bleeder and ISTA to do a proper fluid flush. And a thing to note is that, with the pressure bleeder do not fill it with fluid, just use it to apply pressure and keep checking the fluid level every now and then. This means you can store the pressure bleeder without having to worry about any cleaning and if you have to stop in between, no fluid is in the container and no worries with moisture.

Thank you all for the advice as it was crucial in solving this issue. Brake bleeding is no joke and has to be done with utmost concentration and use proper techniques. The only thing standing between you and the tree in front of you is the brakes. Take care of them ( I cannot emphasize more on this). Let me know if you have any questions and I can answer.

Peace✌