E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62
Default Need help with bleeding brakes

I'm using a Motive power bleeder to bleed my brakes.

Although I've followed the steps in the link below, not much fluid is coming out of the calipers.
BMW Brake Fluid Change: Bimmerzone.com

Once I removed old fluid from the reservoir, I topped it up (even past the max) with fresh fluid. I do have some air bubbles in the line from the Motive bleeder to the fluid reservoir, bu a Motive rep told me that it is normal. The power bleeder is at about 12psi -- does it need to be higher? Pressing down on the brake pedal did not purge any more fluid out the line either. I think I've captured at the most 3oz of fluid so far.

It's my first attempt ever at bleeding brakes, so I have nothing to compare to as far as how much fluid should actually flow out.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Dishoom; 01-16-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Did the 3 oz collected come out from a caliper bleed screw? If you have the Motive hooked up correctly then there is no need to push down on the pedal. The pressure in the Motive should constantly push fluid through once the bleed valves are opened. Something is definitely amiss if no fluid comes out of bleed screw when pressing down on pedal (if bleed screw is open).

Make sure to loosen bleed screw (1/4 to 1/2 turn should suffice)
Old 01-16-2014, 03:49 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

if i may suggest, do it the old fashioned way... especially if you are having issues using the power bleeder.... the old fashioned way requires another person maybe your wife.. have her press on the brakes with great force open bleed screw for 3 seconds and close it while she maintains pressure on the now soft brake pedal... for the next bleed she will have to pump brakes until the pedal becomes stiff again.. maybe five pumps of the brake pedal the she should yell holding to let you know she has pressure at the pedal and she has it firmly held down.... repeat until fresh fluid flows through bleed screw.. start with rear passenger caliber its the furthest away from the reservoir and each caliber after that wont take as long... it will remove the air bubble that you allowed to enter the system keep an eye on reservoir to make sure its full after bleeding .... good luck
Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Alright guys, I tried it again. This time i pumped it up to 15psi and used a tighter fitting tube on the bleeder screw. It worked! Fluid poured out continuously without any bubbles (phew!). I bled all the way around and went for a test drive afterwards. Although it wasn't bad before, I can feel that the pedal is a bit more firm now.

Last edited by Dishoom; 01-18-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by Dishoom
Alright guys, I tried it again. This time i pumped it up to 15psi and used a tighter fitting tube on the bleeder screw. It worked! Fluid poured out continuously without any bubbles (phew!). I bled all the way around and went for a test drive afterwards. Although it wasn't bad before, I can feel that there pedal is a bit more firm now.
Unless there was air trapped in brake fluid lines before the fluid change,
there should be no change in brakes firmness before vs. after brake fluid change.
Just saying....