E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Softer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:59 AM
New Members

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2010 528i e60
Engine: N52k
Default Softer brakes

I have a 2010 528i e60.

I just bleed the brakes and used a full 1 liter can of Pentosin.

The brakes seem softer now than they did before.

Is it possible the old dirty fluid made them feel harder and the brand new fluid makes the master cylinder glide easier and as a result they feel softer?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by scottalexander
Is it possible the old dirty fluid made them feel harder and the brand new fluid makes the master cylinder glide easier and as a result they feel softer?
Unfortunately no. Doesn't work that way.

The only thing to conclude from this is you need to do it again. Somewhere in the process you got more air in there than when you started.

Make sure the tube you have connected to the bleed nipple is tight, try to keep the tube submerged in the old fluid as you collect it in a container and make sure you close the bleed nipple prior to releasing the brake pedal.

open-push-close-release- open-push-close-release

Or you can use a pressure or vacuum based system.

And... make extra sure the fluid stays full in the reservoir