E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake squeaks and squeals

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='338732' date='Sep 26 2006, 09:50 AM
Mine squeaks only at light to moderate braking. So there must be the sensors right? This should be covered under warranty no?
It sounds like the sensors but I can't say for sure. As far as warranty, sure, it should be covered but we've seen cases before where BMW addresses issues differently between countries. For sure, the issue is a warranty item for the USA but I can't say for sure about other places (although according to colejl, it looks as if the UK may be covered...)
Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='338737' date='Sep 26 2006, 03:05 PM
It sounds like the sensors but I can't say for sure. As far as warranty, sure, it should be covered but we've seen cases before where BMW addresses issues differently between countries. For sure, the issue is a warranty item for the USA but I can't say for sure about other places (although according to colejl, it looks as if the UK may be covered...)
I queried with them and they said it's something they are aware of and will do if the customer complains... The sensor was mentioned...

All done and I'm happy at the moment!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Just resurrecting this topic as it's been very helpful to me, and incase it helps others:

My car is going in next week to have the sensors replaced - acknowledged straight away by the dealer as a warranty issue (I'm in my last month of warranty and don't have the Service Inclusive package)
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mr_london_247' post='400741' date='Mar 9 2007, 04:54 PM
Just resurrecting this topic as it's been very helpful to me, and incase it helps others:

My car is going in next week to have the sensors replaced - acknowledged straight away by the dealer as a warranty issue (I'm in my last month of warranty and don't have the Service Inclusive package)
Top banana! New pads for 'free'
Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by colejl' post='338395' date='Sep 25 2006, 04:28 PM
Had my car booked in today (for squeaky brakes) and I've just been advised that BMW are aware of problems with my 'model' and they've agreed to replace all my brake pads and potentially the discs if they need doing, all under warranty...

I don't know if my fully inclusive service deal has swung it, but? I remember someone else having similar problems and they were denied anything under warranty...

I'm happy so far!

Hey guys, I need your opinion please.

My 530d went in this morning for the microfilter to be changed. The i-drive is showing 9000miles left for the front brake pads, and 14000 for the rears.
I mentioned to the service desk that I have some slight squeaking on light braking, and for them to check it.
I've just had a phone call from them, and they say both front pads and disks need to be replaced. I questioned the 9000miles indicator from the i-drive, but the service 'boyo' said that the technician doubts the pads will last that long.

Is it normal for the front disks to only last the life of the pads??? The service guy said this is normal on new BM's. Said the latest brake pad compound is much harder, although these are still the original pads from factory.(Reg June2005)

What do you think?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Sorry forgot to say that my current mileage is 33,000miles.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TACTRAS' post='436889' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:24 AM
My 530d went in this morning for the microfilter to be changed. The i-drive is showing 9000miles left for the front brake pads, and 14000 for the rears.
I mentioned to the service desk that I have some slight squeaking on light braking, and for them to check it.
I've just had a phone call from them, and they say both front pads and disks need to be replaced.
Interesting. I bet they would adhere precisely to the iDrive distances if you had paid up from for Service and Maintenance!

ABC
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='436891' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:40 AM
Interesting. I bet they would adhere precisely to the iDrive distances if you had paid up from for Service and Maintenance!

ABC
That's exactly what I said to the service guy.

I should have done a search about this before my post, but I was raging after that phone call, and had to vent.
Seems it's not unheard of for the disks to only last the pad lifetime.

Anyway, not going to give my money to those theiving bastards. Thinking of buying some pads and disks myself, and asking my local garage to do it for me.(Work abroad a lot, and wife would kill me if I spent all weekend tinkering with the car...)

More money.....
Old 06-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TACTRAS' post='436895' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:54 AM
That's exactly what I said to the service guy....

Anyway, not going to give my money to those theiving bastards. Thinking of buying some pads and disks myself, and asking my local garage to do it..

I see this as a win win situation.

If you trust your iDrive then you still have some time, the BMW garage was bullshitting you and you don't have to sweat to get the job done.

If you are going to do the work anyway then the BMW garage has actually helped you identify work that needs to be done and done you a favour.

ABC
Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='436898' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:00 PM

I see this as a win win situation.

If you trust your iDrive then you still have some time, the BMW garage was bullshitting you and you don't have to sweat to get the job done.

If you are going to do the work anyway then the BMW garage has actually helped you identify work that needs to be done and done you a favour.

ABC
Yeah, I agree with you.
I'm not going to do anything until i-drive tells me I only have a few thousand miles left, then I'll look at sourcing the disks and pads myself. Was hoping they would say, 'Yeah, squeaking brakes, well known issue and we'll sort it under warranty for you'.
Wishfull thinking eh?

If they had said 'look, you've still got a fair few miles left until they need doing, but you will need disks aswell', then maybe. But to say they need changing now, with 9000miles left on i-drive, seems like they're just after my dosh.

But certainly I'm not going to rush out and get it done now.
I guess I'm just a little dissapointed my dealership has tried to take me for a mug.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Quick Reply: Brake squeaks and squeals