E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake squeaks and squeals

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my car booked in today (for squeaky brakes) and I've just been advised that BMW are aware of problems with my 'model' and they've agreed to replace all my brake pads and potentially the discs if they need doing, all under warranty...

I don't know if my fully inclusive service deal has swung it, but? I remember someone else having similar problems and they were denied anything under warranty...

I'm happy so far!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='338395' date='Sep 25 2006, 04:28 PM
Had my car booked in today (for squeaky brakes) and I've just been advised that BMW are aware of problems with my 'model' and they've agreed to replace all my brake pads and potentially the discs if they need doing, all under warranty...

I don't know if my fully inclusive service deal has swung it, but? I remember someone else having similar problems and they were denied anything under warranty...

I'm happy so far!
My 535 squeaks under braking, not really bad but enough to hear it when the window is down...I wonder if they are covering my model??
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Mine squeaks too...you guys are not alone
Old 09-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='338459' date='Sep 25 2006, 07:40 PM
Mine squeaks too...you guys are not alone
Indeed, but I'm shocked they claimed BMW know about the issue and are doing warranty work to resolve... I'll see if I can weed some more information out of the 'service representative'...

The guy said they're replacing all pads (front and back) and something about faulty senders for the pad thickness...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i auto, PDC, Bluetooth, Sunroof, RFT, Towbar AND 2005 645ci Convertible auto, PDC, Bluetooth, RFT,Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Tv function, Navigation, CIP v23.02, Aux input, Logic7 Hi fi, CD changer, front seat heating and lumbar support, lights package, Style 121 19" tyres

I'm having the same problem with my brakes. The local service agent claims that it is a problem with the brake pads and I should accept the squeal as it will go away once the pads are a bit more worn
Not the type of response I expected to hear...
Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I have the same problem as you guys. I had my car at service last Thursday and they changed a sensor on the right back wheel. It's not gone so I will have to take it in again but the squeak is much lower now than before. Maybe it's just a adjustment for them to make
Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Ian
Members

My Ride: 530D SE

For info, my squealing pads on my E39 were totally cured by chamfering down the edges of the pads.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ian' post='338690' date='Sep 26 2006, 02:26 PM
For info, my squealing pads on my E39 were totally cured by chamfering down the edges of the pads.
Chamfering?
Explain please...do you mean rounding the edges?

Anyone else can confirm this method?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is a known issue with the brake pad sensors on the E60. Depending on when and how loud they squeak, it might be the sensors or it might be the pads...

I've had the faulty pad sensor issue on my car and the squeaking usually happens when you're not actually using the brakes. The sensors themself are gently grazing the surface of the rotors which causes the noise.

If you hear squeaking while under moderate to heavy braking, then it's probably the pads. If so, chamfering the edges, using some anti-seize compound on the back of the pads, etc. should resolve it.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='338729' date='Sep 26 2006, 04:36 PM
There is a known issue with the brake pad sensors on the E60. They have a redesigned sensor that is supposed to solve the problem.

Depending on when and how loud they squeak, it might be the sensors or it might be the pads...

I've had the faulty pad sensor issue on my car and the squeaking usually happens when you're not actually using the brakes. The sensors themself are gently grazing the surface of the rotors which causes the noise.

If you hear squeaking while under moderate to heavy braking, then it's probably the pads. If so, chamfering the edges, using some anti-seize compound on the back of the pads, etc. should resolve it.
Mine squeaks only at light to moderate braking. So there must be the sensors right? This should be covered under warranty no?

Quick Reply: Brake squeaks and squeals