E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:

So, I've been thinking about doing some aftermarket brakes on my 545.

I've had a recurring issue with my OEMs. Squeeking and such. I am starting to think from reading others posts here that this is just part of having this car! I've taken it in to get checked a few times over the past 6 months with no luck in getting them changed by the dealer. They say that they are ok and aren't within tolerances of being replaced under warranty. Idrive says that it's not time yet either. I understand that brake noise is affected by humidity and other factors.

What I want to do is get some new Axxis Pads and some cool cross-drilled rotors and either replace them myself or have an independent shop here in LR do the work. There is a guy here that does great work on euro cars for a great price.

So, my questions are.........

1. Will the better quality pads be quieter or is this just part of owning this car??

2. Should I try to do this in my garage or have it done by someone else?? I wouldn't mind learning how, I have done it before on other cars.

You guys on the forum are an awesome source of info!! I appreciate all the help I have gotten since picking up this great car!!

B
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bespoke1' post='722640' date='Nov 16 2008, 03:15 PM
So, I've been thinking about doing some aftermarket brakes on my 545.

I've had a recurring issue with my OEMs. Squeeking and such. I am starting to think from reading others posts here that this is just part of having this car! I've taken it in to get checked a few times over the past 6 months with no luck in getting them changed by the dealer. They say that they are ok and aren't within tolerances of being replaced under warranty. Idrive says that it's not time yet either. I understand that brake noise is affected by humidity and other factors.

What I want to do is get some new Axxis Pads and some cool cross-drilled rotors and either replace them myself or have an independent shop here in LR do the work. There is a guy here that does great work on euro cars for a great price.

So, my questions are.........

1. Will the better quality pads be quieter or is this just part of owning this car??

2. Should I try to do this in my garage or have it done by someone else?? I wouldn't mind learning how, I have done it before on other cars.

You guys on the forum are an awesome source of info!! I appreciate all the help I have gotten since picking up this great car!!

B
Squeaking brakes are sometimes a brake pad problem but in my experience it has been eliminated by proper preparation of the caliper and pads (brake lube and anti-squeal pads/springs etc). Over time harsh cleaners used on wheels may have removed the substances that are products intended to dampen the vibration that is often heard as squealing noises.

That said, some pad materials are noisier than others. In my experience, BMW pads are quiet; Axxis Deluxe are both quiet and clean. Slotted and cross-drilled brake discs tend to be noisier than others.

Sounds like your tech was evaluating the problem you presented only on the basis of pad thickness. Please tell your dealership service manager that noisy brakes on BMWs are unacceptable . If they require a tutorial on how to reduce or eliminate brake noise ... IMHO find another dealership.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='722647' date='Nov 16 2008, 02:36 PM
Squeaking brakes are sometimes a brake pad problem but in my experience it has been eliminated by proper preparation of the caliper and pads (brake lube and anti-squeal pads/springs etc). Over time harsh cleaners used on wheels may have removed the substances that are products intended to dampen the vibration that is often heard as squealing noises.

That said, some pad materials are noisier than others. In my experience, BMW pads are quiet; Axxis Deluxe are both quiet and clean. Slotted and cross-drilled brake discs tend to be noisier than others.

Sounds like your tech was evaluating the problem you presented only on the basis of pad thickness. Please tell your dealership service manager that noisy brakes on BMWs are unacceptable . If they require a tutorial on how to reduce or eliminate brake noise ... IMHO find another dealership.
Thanks for the reply. I think maybe the local dealer here is not used to dealing with guys that are really into their cars and I agree with the idea that they are evaluating the problem as it relates to pad thickness not noise......

I'm just kinda tired of dickin' around with them and think I could solve the problem better on my own. Like most of us on the forum, I really don't have time to mess with do-nothing SAs at the dealer....
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by bespoke1' post='722640' date='Nov 16 2008, 12:15 PM
I can help with that