E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Discs: Is Any Other Memeber Suffering from Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I was once told by someone not to brake hard on a speedbump or potholes, you slow down before you come to those. The rationale behind it is that if you brake hard the brakes will generate a lot of heat and with the vibration the potholes/speedbumps is causing, it could warp your brake disc.

So maybe that's why they say driving style related?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='268006' date='Apr 12 2006, 08:16 AM
I was once told by someone not to brake hard on a speedbump or potholes, you slow down before you come to those. The rationale behind it is that if you brake hard the brakes will generate a lot of heat and with the vibration the potholes/speedbumps is causing, it could warp your brake disc.

I have read about that too. The idea is as follows, I install the discs, I go for a long journey on a highway, not pothole, no bumps. After around 1000 km, the car starts vibrating while braking. No it's not me. I thought about it very hard, a lot of my friends have the same car, same driving style, no one suffers from the same problem. No it is not me :'(.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='268006' date='Apr 12 2006, 07:16 AM

As in my earlier post ... the BMW is supposed to be a drivers car ... it should not be so fragile that it needs 'babying' over pot holes.

IMO theres got to be something wrong with the car to induce this sort of wear .... not drivers style .....

(unless he's just driving along with his foot on the brake)
Old 04-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Have you had any bearings in the hub assembly checked in addition to the bushes you mentioned? Also, there could an issue with wheel balance / tyre deformation that gives the impression of warped brake discs. I had a vibration at speed and under braking which I was convinced was brakes or steering (had wheels balanced twice ) which disappeared when I had the front tyres changed two days before the car was due to go in for fault finding

It is usual for the front brake pad to wear a lot faster than the rears. If your rear pads are wearing quickly it suggests an imbalance in the braking system. Is there an issue with the calipers?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

brakes begin to vibrate when they get hot...have noticed it on all other non performance cars...after extensive hard use as the brakes get hotter they vibrate more...and sense ur saying that they get hot when you are on the highway at high speed i would think that the brakes are somehow sticking or pressing..the pads i think are continuously pressing on the disk and are causing the wear...the vibration is caused by the heat caused by friction....
im just saying what i know...not sure if this is the problem and dont know how to fix it....
but if you are espically getting the brake vibration after a high way or high speed driving (even 80+ km) and long distances...i think i am right....
Old 04-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

You live in a very beautiful country Shebs
Old 04-12-2006, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='268081' date='Apr 12 2006, 02:48 PM
You live in a very beautiful country Shebs
Thanks man . It is really a great country, and it would be even better if BMW Egypt changes its engineering staff . Where do you live?