E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brake caliper covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
would it be best to just paint the whole calipers?
only crossed my mind because i just bought a new set of rims+tyres and it looks like theres just something missing. but i havent seen a photo of them on an actual car so i'm not convinced

Why not get a set of cross-drilled/slotted rotors? Not only do they look awesome, but when paired with quality aftermarket brake pads can drastically improve your stopping power and reduce a TON of brake dust. Acute Performance sells a good combo that many members have purchased and love. Something to look into.

EDIT: And as others have already suggested, it's your money so do as you wish. Just know that most BMW enthusiasts will frown upon it.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

Originally Posted by Jerryn_
Yea, if i bought these covers and i sand off the brembo. paint it black with white B M W on all 4 wheels.... what do people think about that? ... not posing.. just wanna have a big brake kit look (also slotted rotors)
What I did was I sanded them down and painted them Silver and applied chrome lettering (BMW).

:l

Also put on slotted and drilled rotors.

nah. people are right they look like ass. and they dont even cover the whole caliper. not to mention my car drops like 1 kilo of brake dust as soon as i hit the brakes.
I cut them and made them fit over the calipers.

A tiny bit small on the fronts and a bit bigger for the rears.

But they like a shit ton better than the regular calipers.

Oh and I only paid 10 dollars per pair of covers.

So I did not spend too much.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes but i have seen how the painted ones look and you cant even compare
Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

I'd love some caliper covers but just plain black... maybe even a gun metal finish...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by god_003
What I did was I sanded them down and painted them Silver and applied chrome lettering (BMW).

Also put on slotted and drilled rotors.

I cut them and made them fit over the calipers.

A tiny bit small on the fronts and a bit bigger for the rears.

But they like a shit ton better than the regular calipers.

Oh and I only paid 10 dollars per pair of covers.

So I did not spend too much.
Any pictures??
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

I know this is pretty shitty.

But this is the only pic I have online at the moment.

I was still test fitting it.

I had to add a little spacer in the back to have it flow with the rear caliper better.

In either case... It still looks a shit load better than the bare calipers.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Members

Ask yourself this simple question: Are you an ass bandit? The answer to this question is also the answer to fitting these covers.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

was just wondering if anyone on the forums has done this and what does it look like on an e60?
some photos would be great!

yup dont do this i agree with everybody do you still have stock rotors? if so go to buybrakes.com and check out the nht calipers, they can powder coat it in any color you want and they are pretty much like your stock calipers and not the expensive big brake upgrade.. good luck on the search
Attached Thumbnails brake caliper covers-picture.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i already have it planned. covers will NOT happen. since my e60 was not made in china i rather not make it look that way
when i get some time i will take all wheels off, paint the calipers and also the drums while i'm at it, then BMW decals on the calipers.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I'm late to this party, but..JUST SAY no to FEMBO (fake Brembo). A more serious concern is what's the chance of these becoming dislodged if improperly installed? Do they allow additional heat to be retained by the caliper, considering plastic is a pretty good insulator? Do they become brittle over time (maybe years)? Just wondering...

Quick Reply: brake caliper covers