E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Both key remotes stopped working suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Replaceable batteries for Comfort Access cars are even covered under the BMW warranty.
+1 ... had one done ... the other has functioned normally for almost 4 years now! I suspect the battery stock may have been older for the one CA Fob because these batteries seem to last as long as their shelf life.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dandle
My car has just come back form the dealers after being fixed for both keys remotes not working. Although my car is a touring so the location of the diversity amplifier module is in a different place it had been subject to water ingress (its located in the rear spoiler of my car). There is a thread on the same thing here might be worth finding out were that is located on your car. None of your key settings will work like the drivers seat memory, indicator settings etc as they are activated by the remote not the key being inserted into the ignition. Mine started failing intermittently at first and would sometimes not lock or unlock the car first go, after about a month it failed all together. Luckily my car was still one month away from being out of warranty so it was covered.

Got to look at aftermarket warranties now, these cars just cost to much when stuff goes wrong.
Good diagnostics and lucky find while still in warranty!

BTW, that link in your post isn't working!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cyril
I've one of the earlier models, which didn't have comfort access available yet, so I've the "normal" keys (see image below).
As for my warranty, it of course expired a few months ago so I'm out of luck!
My dealer is a thief and won't look at the car to tell me w/o shelling out $170 just to tell me what the problem is!

A few months out of warranty ?? Maybe BMWNA could step in for the sake of customer loyalty and help out with some financial relief. Entry systems should last at least as long as an engine or transmission - or is that not a good example
Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by cyril
Thanks Dandle!

I have a touring too! It looks like this is a common design flaw for the E61!!!

We've had lots of rain recently over here in California. I bet I have the same issue. I'll see if I can figure out how to access this wiring for inspection.
How did you get yours fixed? Did they replace the amplifier? The wires? Or just tinkered with them?
Trying to get handle on whether it's something I can fix on the cheap or if I have to take it to the dealership...

Thanks again! The dealership's engineers' knowledge is dwarfed by this community!
According to, http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm, the aerial tuner remote receiver attaches to the "rear window aerial".
If I'm not mistaken the "rear window aerial" is also the rear window defroster. I would check connections in that area.
And you are correct about having the Car Access System instead of the Comfort Access System
Attached Thumbnails Both key remotes stopped working suddenly-n8a-aerial-tuner-remote-receiver.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Good diagnostics and lucky find while still in warranty!

BTW, that link in your post isn't working!

Heres the full link https://5series.net/forums/topic/930...1&#entry110098. To fix mine they just replaced the divesity module due to it being damaged/corroded by water. It doesn't need reprogramming either and theres no wiring damage I know of yet.