E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Both key remotes stopped working suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xiT Sport with SMG

Hello,
Both keys of my 2006 E61 stopped working a few days ago. I can still lock/unlock the car through the door, but not remotely.
It's difficult to believe that both keys or their batteries would fail at the same time, so I'm getting worried and wonder what's going on...
It looks like the driver seat memory stopped working to. There's no red light when I press the M button and it doesn't record the seat position when changed.
Any experience with such issue or idea what could be going on?
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

key battery can both be dead. There's a setting where the key also stores which seat memory. Try swapping out the battery.

Question for you. Do you mainly use ONE key? It;s good to swap the keys here and there. I also only use one key and the other key is never used. If you mainly use one key, it's not a surprise that the other key battery is dead as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Members

My wife and I use each of our keys at least on a weekly basis. The probability they'd both die at the same time is fairly low, which is why I suspect a receiver issue...
How long do key batteries typically last?
Do you mean swapping battery between keys or w/ new ones? Is there a resource on how to do that? I read in other threads that those keys can't get new batteries and you have to replace the whole key @ $250 a pop.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 540i Carbon Black, Sports Pack, HUD, Comfort Access, Sunroof

I would have thought the Key fob battery is rechargable. I've got comfort access and somethings when I dont plug the key into the ignition for prolonged period of time. The car indicates low battery on key and I plug the key in and it will all be fine.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by klyeo
I would have thought the Key fob battery is rechargable. I've got comfort access and somethings when I dont plug the key into the ignition for prolonged period of time. The car indicates low battery on key and I plug the key in and it will all be fine.
The Comfort Access Battery is replaceable - you can buy them at a Radio Shack or most Wal-Marts etc. The battery number is a CR2032and it's not unusual that both died at about the same time - probably at the end of their normal life span (2-4 years). Easy to pry the CA remote fob open and replace them. A 2 minute job - and I didn't need to reprogram the fobs when mine were done.

Unlike the non-comfort fobs - these don't recharge when inserted into the car.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Replaceable batteries for Comfort Access cars are even covered under the BMW warranty.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Members

I've one of the earlier models, which didn't have comfort access available yet, so I've the "normal" keys (see image below).
As for my warranty, it of course expired a few months ago so I'm out of luck!
My dealer is a thief and won't look at the car to tell me w/o shelling out $170 just to tell me what the problem is!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

My car has just come back form the dealers after being fixed for both keys remotes not working. Although my car is a touring so the location of the diversity amplifier module is in a different place it had been subject to water ingress (its located in the rear spoiler of my car). There is a thread on the same thing here might be worth finding out were that is located on your car. None of your key settings will work like the drivers seat memory, indicator settings etc as they are activated by the remote not the key being inserted into the ignition. Mine started failing intermittently at first and would sometimes not lock or unlock the car first go, after about a month it failed all together. Luckily my car was still one month away from being out of warranty so it was covered.

Got to look at aftermarket warranties now, these cars just cost to much when stuff goes wrong.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

You are trying to open your own car aren't you??
Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Members

Thanks Dandle!

I have a touring too! It looks like this is a common design flaw for the E61!!!

We've had lots of rain recently over here in California. I bet I have the same issue. I'll see if I can figure out how to access this wiring for inspection.
How did you get yours fixed? Did they replace the amplifier? The wires? Or just tinkered with them?
Trying to get handle on whether it's something I can fix on the cheap or if I have to take it to the dealership...

Thanks again! The dealership's engineers' knowledge is dwarfed by this community!

Quick Reply: Both key remotes stopped working suddenly