E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bootloader message

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i
Default Bootloader message

Anyone know if this is a M-ask issue or something else. Dealer won't admit it but my Idrive (radio, etc) stopped working after it was serviced by them. Had $3800 of engine repair, plus and additional $500 battery + labor issue, which I was told was to blame for original issue, Transmission Fail mode. Low volts triggers SAFE MODE, I'm told. None the less Dealer now wants to charge me to diagnose and replace. Has anyone had this same screen message and had it resolved by either new M-ask or other module? Feel like my doctor punched me in the nose and is now telling me I can pay him to see if he broke it.
Attached Thumbnails Bootloader message-bootloader-message.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Members

dealer wants to take you for a ride. check your work order if the vehicle was programmed. the bootloader screen is the sign of MASK programming went wrong.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yah holy crap, I have another client up there in Seattle that also was taken for a ride by the dealership last month. Maybe it's the same dealership? His charge should've been something like like $200 for parts and labor, and they ended up billing him for something like $1k.

Anyway, fight those mofos or take it up with BMWNA. They are burglars over there.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was this BMW of Seattle or Bellevue?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 PM
New Members

NW BMW in Fife (Tacoma)
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
New Members

I'm not sure if this is indicative of local NW dealers but I have left messages that never get return the same day and only get to talk to an adviser because I tell them I want to hold until one is available? I'm originally from CA, and the BMW dealer there (SF) made me actually feel like they wanted me to get my car fixed there. Seattle and Tacoma dealers never call me back and the person answering the phone (Seattle) never mentions that my assigned adviser is off for three days, until I call to complain they did not call me back. Has anyone out there gone off brand (Dynavin) They claim they are plug and play?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM
New Members

So dbond are you saying that it is possible the unit is NOT fried just programmed incorrectly or are you saying what ever they did screwed it up for good? After $4300 in recent service charges I would like to just get what I have working but if Bootloader is a sign of M-ask not coming back I would rather pay to go CCC upgrade. Thank you for the response.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by seattleblue
So dbond are you saying that it is possible the unit is NOT fried just programmed incorrectly or are you saying what ever they did screwed it up for good? After $4300 in recent service charges I would like to just get what I have working but if Bootloader is a sign of M-ask not coming back I would rather pay to go CCC upgrade. Thank you for the response.
I have a M-ASK unit sitting in my garage with the same message. During my early days of coding, I attempted a firmware update. During that process, it gave an error with some message regarding a security code. I never did resolve it - I used the opportunity to pick up a CCC+screen from a member here for $750. You can find them cheaper nowadays.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Members

It's likely that M-ASK flash memory was corrupted during programming. The chances it can be recovered is about 50/50. Convince your dealer it's their fault and they should fix it for free. Otherwise follow advancedlogic advice and spend your money on CCC.
If you want a cheaper option for M-ASK recovery you can send it to me - PM for details.

Last edited by dbond; 09-23-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM
New Members

Talking

Thanks Guys!!!! It sounds like the CCC is the best route. I'm just glad to pinpoint that the M-ask is the culprit here and not something else.