5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Bootloader message (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/bootloader-message-135151/)

seattleblue 09-19-2013 11:41 AM

Bootloader message

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know if this is a M-ask issue or something else. Dealer won't admit it but my Idrive (radio, etc) stopped working after it was serviced by them. Had $3800 of engine repair, plus and additional $500 battery + labor issue, which I was told was to blame for original issue, Transmission Fail mode. Low volts triggers SAFE MODE, I'm told. None the less Dealer now wants to charge me to diagnose and replace. Has anyone had this same screen message and had it resolved by either new M-ask or other module? Feel like my doctor punched me in the nose and is now telling me I can pay him to see if he broke it.:cry:

dbond 09-19-2013 06:33 PM

dealer wants to take you for a ride. check your work order if the vehicle was programmed. the bootloader screen is the sign of MASK programming went wrong.

nomis_nehc 09-19-2013 08:32 PM

Yah holy crap, I have another client up there in Seattle that also was taken for a ride by the dealership last month. Maybe it's the same dealership? His charge should've been something like like $200 for parts and labor, and they ended up billing him for something like $1k.

Anyway, fight those mofos or take it up with BMWNA. They are burglars over there.

west 09-19-2013 10:23 PM

Was this BMW of Seattle or Bellevue?

seattleblue 09-21-2013 04:34 PM

NW BMW in Fife (Tacoma)

seattleblue 09-21-2013 04:41 PM

I'm not sure if this is indicative of local NW dealers but I have left messages that never get return the same day and only get to talk to an adviser because I tell them I want to hold until one is available? I'm originally from CA, and the BMW dealer there (SF) made me actually feel like they wanted me to get my car fixed there. Seattle and Tacoma dealers never call me back and the person answering the phone (Seattle) never mentions that my assigned adviser is off for three days, until I call to complain they did not call me back. Has anyone out there gone off brand (Dynavin) They claim they are plug and play?

seattleblue 09-21-2013 05:08 PM

So dbond are you saying that it is possible the unit is NOT fried just programmed incorrectly or are you saying what ever they did screwed it up for good? After $4300 in recent service charges I would like to just get what I have working but if Bootloader is a sign of M-ask not coming back I would rather pay to go CCC upgrade. Thank you for the response.

advancedlogic 09-23-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by seattleblue (Post 1519663)
So dbond are you saying that it is possible the unit is NOT fried just programmed incorrectly or are you saying what ever they did screwed it up for good? After $4300 in recent service charges I would like to just get what I have working but if Bootloader is a sign of M-ask not coming back I would rather pay to go CCC upgrade. Thank you for the response.

I have a M-ASK unit sitting in my garage with the same message. During my early days of coding, I attempted a firmware update. During that process, it gave an error with some message regarding a security code. I never did resolve it - I used the opportunity to pick up a CCC+screen from a member here for $750. You can find them cheaper nowadays.

dbond 09-23-2013 08:52 AM

It's likely that M-ASK flash memory was corrupted during programming. The chances it can be recovered is about 50/50. Convince your dealer it's their fault and they should fix it for free. Otherwise follow advancedlogic advice and spend your money on CCC.
If you want a cheaper option for M-ASK recovery you can send it to me - PM for details.

seattleblue 09-26-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks Guys!!!! It sounds like the CCC is the best route. I'm just glad to pinpoint that the M-ask is the culprit here and not something else.