E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW - The Ultimate Squeaking Machine - brakes are squeaking, again....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 530i sport with 54K that shows 14K until the front pads need to be changed and 24K until the rear pads need to be changed. However, I am getting a very annoying squeaking from the brakes at low speeds. A visual inspection of the pads checks out ok - there is plenty of pad on the fronts and backs. Now I know why everyone has been looking at my car. Most annoying.

So my plan is to find out which pad is squeaking and change out that pair of pads and sensor. I have had this problem when my car was in warranty and they changed out all the pads then.

Does anyone have the instructions on how to change the front and rear pads?

Any advice to make this annoying brake noise go away?

Thanks......
Old 03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' post='549190' date='Mar 22 2008, 04:48 PM
I have an 04 530i sport with 54K that shows 14K until the front pads need to be changed and 24K until the rear pads need to be changed. However, I am getting a very annoying squeaking from the brakes at low speeds. A visual inspection of the pads checks out ok - there is plenty of pad on the fronts and backs. Now I know why everyone has been looking at my car. Most annoying.

So my plan is to find out which pad is squeaking and change out that pair of pads and sensor. I have had this problem when my car was in warranty and they changed out all the pads then.

Does anyone have the instructions on how to change the front and rear pads?

Any advice to make this annoying brake noise go away?

Thanks......
it might be just break dust. Mine was doing that but after a while it was gone. but trying to either use hawk break pad and check the rotors too.
Do you drive this car in the city most of times?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='549292' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:50 AM
it might be just break dust. Mine was doing that but after a while it was gone. but trying to either use hawk break pad and check the rotors too.
Do you drive this car in the city most of times?
No, highway driving commute to and from work, mostly.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Members

mine does the same thing. But, I have learned to live with. I do feel like I am driving a 88 camaro
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

There is a Service issue with this. Trying doing a search. I brought this up to the service department together with the Service Bulletin and they replaced the pads under warranty.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Have your dealer smear a little 'copper grease' on the back of the pads next time you have your e60 serviced, most squeel comes from the slight vibration between the caliper and rear of pad... it's an old cure which should work a treat.

good luck
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Hello,

Is your noise a squeal or a grinding noise? I have a grinding noise every time I come to a stop. Squealing is 'normal' and can be solved with some inexpensive compound applied to the back of the brake pads. The grinding is another thing all together. If your pads have material on them (as mine do) and there is a grinding as you stop, then there is a problem.

I read about faulty brake pad wear sensors rubbing against the rotors. I posted an open question to the board about this on Friday, but nobody responded?

If this sounds like your problem, feel free to IM me about it. I'll work with my dealer to get it sorted out sooner or later.

Regards,
DRP
Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='549561' date='Mar 23 2008, 03:14 PM
Have your dealer smear a little 'copper grease' on the back of the pads next time you have your e60 serviced, most squeel comes from the slight vibration between the caliper and rear of pad... it's an old cure which should work a treat.

good luck
Just to double check - when you say the back of the pads, you mean the side that does NOT contact the rotor surface, correct?

And I am out of warranty and am looking for a way to avoid having to pay the dealer.....

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I'll first try the copper grease, but I would still like to get a hold of some procedures to change the brakes so that I can see how to pull the pads off. Anyone?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

ahhhh I just blame it on Dusty Dhaka City.....
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Members

My Ride: AmethystGrau '03 530i

Gents, it will be your rear-brake-sensor touching the rotor. The new design isn't supposed to do that anymore, but who knows.

Quick Reply: BMW - The Ultimate Squeaking Machine - brakes are squeaking, again....