E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW said they'd charge for for 2 hours labor for the MP3 update(ip

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White 2004 545i sport

I ordered my iPod interface online and after reading a few posts on this message board, I was told to take my car into the dealership and have them update my iDrive to play MP3 cd's for FREE... I guess this updates the iDrive software so the iPod interface works also.

I called today and they said that they'd charge me 2 hours labor to do this, since It not a 'warranty' item...

I called back 5 mins later and asked how much the install would be for the iPod interface(if i brought it in), and they said 1.5 hours labor and they'd do the reprogram for free.... WTF?!

I want to be able to just install the interface myself, since It takes all of 5 or 10 mins, and have someone reprogram it. What do I do?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by chrisxiv' post='753788' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:38 PM
I ordered my iPod interface online and after reading a few posts on this message board, I was told to take my car into the dealership and have them update my iDrive to play MP3 cd's for FREE... I guess this updates the iDrive software so the iPod interface works also.

I called today and they said that they'd charge me 2 hours labor to do this, since It not a 'warranty' item...

I called back 5 mins later and asked how much the install would be for the iPod interface(if i brought it in), and they said 1.5 hours labor and they'd do the reprogram for free.... WTF?!

I want to be able to just install the interface myself, since It takes all of 5 or 10 mins, and have someone reprogram it. What do I do?
This is the BMW notice about MP3 retrofit but it does state it is a warranty fix under "new vehicle warranty". Looking at your car (2004 545) you may be out of warranty and that's why they are trying to charge you for the update...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=61510
Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

shoot a pm to member schulrog

here's his thread RE: this retrofit..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=59271&hl=
Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Contributors

warranty should have nothing to do with the mp3 retrofit. Go to your stealership and tell them that you heard about a BMW bulletin that states they have to do it for free on a customer complaint basis regardless of warrant see what they say then. Oh, if they give you any fuss tell them to find that bulletin for you. They'd rather do it than dig though thousands of bulletins trying to find it
Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='753885' date='Dec 27 2008, 09:53 PM
warranty should have nothing to do with the mp3 retrofit. Go to your stealership and tell them that you heard about a BMW bulletin that states they have to do it for free on a customer complaint basis regardless of warrant see what they say then. Oh, if they give you any fuss tell them to find that bulletin for you. They'd rather do it than dig though thousands of bulletins trying to find it
Other than the fact that BMW views clearly states it is a warranty issue? The bulletin clearly outlines it is a "new vehicle warranty" issue. If the OP has bought the car beyond the "new vehicle warranty", I can see how a stealer will say that they will charge for the upgrade...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by chrisxiv' post='753788' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:38 PM

LIES!!!!!!! Tell them it IS a warranty job, on a request basis. This forum pointed that out to me and I had mine done for free. Search this forum and you'll find the original bmw service dept info (this is assuming your vehicle is still under the original 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. I dont think this is covered under extended warranty. but i may be wrong). Good luck
Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='753991' date='Dec 27 2008, 10:22 PM
LIES!!!!!!! Tell them it IS a warranty job, on a request basis. This forum pointed that out to me and I had mine done for free. Search this forum and you'll find the original bmw service dept info (this is assuming your vehicle is still under the original 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. I dont think this is covered under extended warranty. but i may be wrong). Good luck

My car has just over 80k miles and still has the CPO 100k warranty...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chrisxiv' post='754033' date='Dec 28 2008, 01:59 AM
My car has just over 80k miles and still has the CPO 100k warranty...
That's my point. The CPO warranty is different from the new vehicle warranty. Read the fine print, some electronics are excluded from the CPO warranty. Either way, print out the document in the link I posted and bring it to your service advisor, they may do it for you under warranty, maybe not.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

The MP3 update will not guarantee the iPod interface to work automagically look at this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=733876, he got everything in dash CD that play MP3 and real 6-disc CD Changer but swappin' the Changer w/ the iPod interface didn't work and ended up gettin' retrofit re-programming for it (post #8 in the same thread).

Also, do you have Navigation? 'cuz the MP3 update bulletin clearly stated it's for car w/ NAV (CCC) only not all model.

Originally Posted by chrisxiv' post='753788' date='Dec 27 2008, 06:38 PM
[...]
Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='754204' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:29 AM
The MP3 update will not guarantee the iPod interface to work automagically look at this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=733876, he got everything in dash CD that play MP3 and real 6-disc CD Changer but swappin' the Changer w/ the iPod interface didn't work and ended up gettin' retrofit re-programming for it (post #8 in the same thread).

Also, do you have Navigation? 'cuz the MP3 update bulletin clearly stated it's for car w/ NAV (CCC) only not all model.

yes. I DO have NAV

Quick Reply: BMW said they'd charge for for 2 hours labor for the MP3 update(ip