E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW recalls 1.3 million cars worldwide

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 528i, Alpine WHITE

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Can't you just stick a post-it note (or 5) on the steering wheel with "Please don't give my car a courtesy clean, I prefer to do it myself". That's what I do when my car's getting serviced and they feel the need to stick labels on my windshield.
Brought my car to the dealer for cpo service and forgot to tell them not to wash it. When I picked it up, my front passenger wheel was all RASHED up! I guess from the rails. My car isn't under cpo anymore and I wash it myself now...Good thing was that the Service Manager replaced both the Rim and Tire!

I also recently had a water leak in my Bus System under the spare tire. Not being covered by cpo warrenty , I had to be persistent with the issue and BMW fixed it at no charge under their "Good Will" as they called it. Hope=ing that my car isn't effected by THIS recall...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Originally Posted by B_Schnell
Ditto the crappy ZF Tranny plastic pans / gasket placed up close and personal right next to the exhaust, and all the leaks anywhere from 30K to 50K miles + Mechatronic sleeve + Sealing Sleeve,(all 3 leak at any time, no warning, so good luck) and if you have a V8 add Valve Cover gaskets left and right banks + timing chain cover gaskets left and right + alternator bracket gasket where engine mount needs to be loosened to replace, that alone is about $2,000 + job even at a Indy mechanic. All of these on the valve cover also leak anywhere from 35K to 50K or less AND we haven't even gotten to the Cylinder coolant pipe gasket which Dealers charge around $7K to fix!!! and about 2K with the spring loaded pipe that some Indies know how to fix. Mine was replaced at just 33K miles! Makes you wonder about the claim "Ultimate Driving Machine" if they are referring to driving a car or driving you insane? Now we find out that our cars may burn up in a fire the same as a Chevy Volt! maybe that would be a good thing and then just collect the insurance?
I DO love to see it burn! Just wondering how much I can get from insurance....
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Contributors

How can we tell if our car is affected by the recall if we live in Europe?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by selbycy
How can we tell if our car is affected by the recall if we live in Europe?
Open the letter you receive from BMW telling you that your car is affected

Relax, they made the car since 2003 and there was not one instance of this potential problem happening. This is just BMW thinking of a possibility and being pro-active. You'll get your notification when they're ready to send them out. Remember, the press post this story in minutes, as soon as the decision is known. It doesn't mean they're either ready to start fixing cars or notifying people.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Contributors

Open the letter you receive from BMW telling you that your car is affected

Relax, they made the car since 2003 and there was not one instance of this potential problem happening. This is just BMW thinking of a possibility and being pro-active. You'll get your notification when they're ready to send them out. Remember, the press post this story in minutes, as soon as the decision is known. It doesn't mean they're either ready to start fixing cars or notifying people.
But how will they know my address. The car was originally from the UK, but now is registered in Cyprus.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Contributors

But how will they know my address. The car was originally from the UK, but now is registered in Cyprus.
But it's registered, that's the key. As far as I know (which isn't always very far) if you either get your car serviced at any BMW dealership in the world, or your car is registered with the proper authorities in a country that BMW sell to, then you'll be findable. I'd be very surprised if these agencies, when asked by BMW "can you give us a list of current BMW E60 owners?", would have that request rejected.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Contributors

But it's registered, that's the key. As far as I know (which isn't always very far) if you either get your car serviced at any BMW dealership in the world, or your car is registered with the proper authorities in a country that BMW sell to, then you'll be findable. I'd be very surprised if these agencies, when asked by BMW "can you give us a list of current BMW E60 owners?", would have that request rejected.
I don't service my car at a BMW dealer, but it is registered so I guess they could find it at the registry office.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Contributors

I don't service my car at a BMW dealer, but it is registered so I guess they could find it at the registry office.
If you have a concern take a copy of the recall notice, your car, and proof of ownership to a local BMW dealer and ask if your specific car is affected by the recall. If the dealer attempts to charge you about your question call the in-country BMW office and give them particulars - Dealer name, address, service representative name, phone number, etc.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
If you have a concern take a copy of the recall notice, your car, and proof of ownership to a local BMW dealer and ask if your specific car is affected by the recall. If the dealer attempts to charge you about your question call the in-country BMW office and give them particulars - Dealer name, address, service representative name, phone number, etc.
Will do, thank you for the advice.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Hey guys, has anyone received their recall letter yet?....I haven't.

Quick Reply: BMW recalls 1.3 million cars worldwide