E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw quality...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aultimateE60' post='262201' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:39 PM
I had my car for almost 2 years; I am disappointing about the overall qualities of the car.
Interior paints are peeling off from the consoles. Exterior paint finishes are not greater than other luxury vehicles. For example, I have owned Acura and Lexus for 3 years each before bmw, I did not have a single problems. Why bmw have so many problems?
So far, with in 2 years followings are the problems I had.
-Front window motor broke down
-Steering wheel is not coming down when starting
-Check engine light comes on randomly
-interior paints are peeling off
-Engine is juggling when staring up (sometimes) and at stop light
-Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
-Brake noise due to sensor
I think there is couple more but I am not remembering all.
I am more likely to sell my e60 when I reach 50K miles because I can afford to do/pay all those things occurs every other month.
Anyone unhappy with their bmw?s?
Ok, I felt really strongly after reading this post, so excuse my harshness when you read the following...

First of all, I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your car. Maybe you'll be better of driving a Lexus afterall. Now, I would like to address several other points of the original post and other's replies.

Most of the problems, like window motors, check engine lights, etc are common with all manufacturers, even Lexus, etc (believe me, I owned 3 Lexuses) and that is given no car has sophistication of a BMW. They are pioneers of a car industry, and yes, their stuff breaks, but that's how they pave way for japanese copycats like Lexus. Have you ever heard of any significant technologocal advancement in automotive design, technology, or materials made by Lexus recently? No? Hmmmm.....

Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
- REALLY? Maybe that is because generator gets additional load from running A/C compressor?
Brake noise due to sensor - well, change the freaking sensor - its a warranty repair. Most cars don't even have brake sensors (well, maybe most do now, but anyway), why is this a big deal?
Now, paint peeling is something that might be triggered by the climate, or your skin oils - do you wash your hands often? Do you use skin conditioners? And...cut your fingernails! Never had this problem with any of my BMWs, including my '03 build E60.

Finally, I think most of you folks expect too much really - you expect a $60K car to be perfect and never break donw? WHY? Because YOU paid $60K for it? So what? There are way more expensive cars that break down more often, and cost more to repair, don't even get me started on Ferraris and Lamborghinis! You think Lexus or Acura (insert your favorite brand here) will be better? Sell your BMW and get an Acura. But stop complaining about how bad BMW are, I really sick of listening to this! They are not perfect, no car is, no matter how much you pay, $60K or $600K.

"why should we have to be careful using these cars if they cost more then Lexus but Lexus products can go 10 years without problems?" - are you for real?

"If I had to buy a car I would buy Lexus, thank god I only lease these BMWs" - why don't you lease a Lexus then? You won't have anything to complain about then?

I bought all my BMWs for what they are = a driving machine, not a comfortable couch on wheels like MB, and not an old lady car like Lexus. No car will match BMW value for the price - and you decide what you drive. I apologize if I came through abrasive, but that thread is ridiculous!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='263004' date='Mar 31 2006, 07:16 AM
Now, paint peeling is something that might be triggered by the climate, or your skin oils - do you wash your hands often? Do you use skin conditioners? And...cut your fingernails! Never had this problem with any of my BMWs, including my '03 build E60.
Ya I've noticed A LOT probably 98% of the population are just plain "not careful" no attention to detail. You have to take care of things to keep them looking like new. Eh I dunno N/M I know people will just argue about it and probably "THINK" they're doing a HECK of a good job taking care of their car when its no where near how some people take care of their things.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Here are my 2 cents. I have had many cars, but NEVER EVER had anywhere near as many problems as I have/had with my E60 in 18 months. My E39, for example, was perfect - absolutely nothing wrong in 4 years.

So yeah, I believe there are quality issues. If your car needs to be flatbetted to the dealer after 3 months and your problem list for the service is 7 pages long, there is something wrong....in particular, if I see my neighbors and colleagues with cars that never have any problems (ok, maybe I am too picky...).

But then, I am giving BMW one more try. Lets see if anything has improved....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='262836' date='Mar 30 2006, 11:12 PM
Well......

That's not really fair. The soft cushiony surfaces weren't something they bothered with back then. Buyers got hard plastic. I'd take that, so perhaps I too lament the fact that they don't make them like they used to, but really - the coating was meant to be an advancement.

We expected a lot less from cars back "then" too. Been in a really old car recently?

Really agree. Anyone sit inside an old E39 lately? The dark ages man! As I was picking my colors for the E60, I spent about 2 hours inside various E60s at my dealer. By mistake, the dealer gave the keys to a E39 with a grey interior. I walked up to it and peered thru the window. Sheer shock. It looked like something from the 70s. Needless to say, I didn't bother keying in.

I also own an Audi and the interior materials are better than the BMW. That said, the bimmer's interior is fine and its damn distinctive. The bimmer tops my Audi in some key areas: 1) better placement of steering wheel, 2) the seats are miles better, 3) better leather, and 4) internal user features are more advanced/complex and better thought out. Most importantly, the e60 runs circles around the Audi on the road.

As for the interior paint peel, yeah its a bummer. Its the price to pay for the tactile feel. Its one reason to go with black, as its far less obvious. For trying environmental friendly techniques, I'm letting BMW slide on the exterior paint issues. Of course, I'll could be one of the thousand of e60ers screaming 10 years from now as our cars molt off their exterior finishes like lobsters.

Just my three cents.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

I completely agree with TexaZ3!

I want to add something. Back in 1996 - 2003 when E39 was ruling the Earth, Internet and more than that forums like this one, did not allowed us to share our problems with a car. Otherwise, I am sure, E39 was worst comparatively with E60. I've driven an E39 again these days, after a long time, and it is surely outdated when compared with my E60. Not bad, but surely outdated.

@drjochen: it was just your turn to have many problems with your E60 and I am sorry about it, but think that there were probably two previous E39 owners with problems in past for each E60 owner with problems nowadays.

Don't worry, BMW created bimmers, not us. They surely know what they are doing, otherwise they'll lose profits long term.

2005 was the year that BMW sold record number of cars, and guess what. They did not reduced prices.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

First, the e60 is without question not the most reliable car on the road. Consumer Reports identifies the 545i (which I own) as one of the worst vehicles around for reliability. And I knew that before I bought the car.

Having said that, most of the "problems" that most owners cite are not catastophic (i.e., they won't cause the car to entirely fail). They are mostly niggling annoyances.

I personally have been fortunate with my e60; it has performed flawlessly in the big ways, and the few electronic glitches have been no big deal. I'd also say that the BMW's fit and finish are very far superior to the Acura TL I had previously, and much better than my wife's Lexus SUV. But all of that is pretty subjective.

I never really wanted a BMW before, having driven several 3-series in previous car-buying expeditions. But when I drove the e60 545i sport, I was absolutely hooked. No other car on the market* offers the exceptional handling, tremendous power, and silent comfort available in this machine. For these virtues, I can live with a few problems.

As a final comment, this is such a terrific forum -- where else can one find Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs cited in response to an automotive question? Great!

*OK, maybe the Quattroporte, at nearly twice the price.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Honestly. I would not buy any BMW 2 years ago. I have too many friends drove the 3-series and 5-series back in the mid 90s, their BMW had many problems all around. Me and my group of Mercedes owner friends had much less problem with our cars.

One of my friends drove his brand new 325i to pickup his first date in the college, and the car stowed in the rain on the way to the restaurant, he called a friend to pick up his date back to the dorm, and he waited for the tow truck to tow his car back to the dorm parking lot, it was on Saturday night and the dealer already closed.

For the past few years, I see the improvement of BMW reliability stats on the car magazine. And my favorite brand, Mercedes, keep dropping on the ranking of reliability. Although I had great experience with my ex-MBs, but I want to try BMW this time. So far I only went back to the dealer once for an AC problem when my e60 was 2 months old, but it?s been good so far, and I am really glad I made the choice of buying this car.

Knock, knock, knock?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Mercedes definitely has a problem.
One of my colleagues has an E class Diesel and that thing has been in the shop more than he drove it.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i Alpine White, Sport Package, 6MT, Auburn interior 2007 Acura TSX, Black on Black, 6MT, OEM Body Kit 2000 Honda CBR929RR, Yellow, Pazzo Racing adjustable brake/clutch levers, Sato rear sets, full Micron Exhaust, double bubble windscreen.

Originally Posted by Mr 5er' post='262214' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:40 PM
I've had my 5 for 18 months with 20k on it and I have not experienced any of the unfortunate problems you have had. Sorry to hear about them. Have you discussed these problems with your dealer. It is possible they may be able to do something for you.

I've had this problem on my previous 330i zhp. the coating on the cup holders started peeling off, so i just peeled everything off of it.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i, Auburn Int., AS, CA, SMG, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats, HUD, Navi, SIRIUS, M Body Kit

Guys you have to understand that things peel off sometimes after 2-3 years especially in warmer climate... its only natural to have wear and tear. I would understand if a lot of these issues weren't covered by warantee but they are and if you do have your car in the shop for a week for repairs you get a loaner anyway... so its not a big deal.

Quick Reply: bmw quality...