E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW owner beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by 1BadDuc
Between a 3 series and a G35 or LS350? No, I didn't notice 2x the price difference.
Oh, now it's "G35 or LS350" - Quick switch bro. :thumbsdown:
Then don't refer to them as Nissan and Toyota, Infiniti does not have that engine issue, since its engine built in Japan. And Lexus never had issues with sticking gas pedals.

G35 and IS350 never had issues remotely similar to what topic starter describes, and if there were Japs quickly recall cars and do replacements unlike bmw which normally hides its head in his ass - "problem? what problem??".

And VQ35 engine problems ARE isolated to US build engines only - poor assembly.

F.ck BMW!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by fov001
I recently purchased a BMW 525i 2005. is under 60K but I am concerned now. Does the problem happens after certain milage?
No you shouldn't have the same exact issue, you have a different engine. 2004-05 have the M54 engine, the OP is talking about the N52 enigine which was used for 2006-07 models. You should be good, considering the many many M54's out there with multiple hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hooch999
Then don't refer to them as Nissan and Toyota, Infiniti does not have that engine issue, since its engine built in Japan. And Lexus never had issues with sticking gas pedals.

G35 and IS350 never had issues remotely similar to what topic starter describes, and if there were Japs quickly recall cars and do replacements unlike bmw which normally hides its head in his ass - "problem? what problem??".

F.ck BMW!

Not entirely true, the story that got the whole thing started with Toyota's pedals sticking was a Lexus, and yes, as previously stated - they were retrofitted as well. And if you can see the comparison of Infiniti or Lexus to BMW, you are blind.

The "Jap" (your stupid derogatory term) cars you referred to actually hid the issue for a couple of years. It was only AFTER a few deaths were highly publicized did they "do the right thing". I don't recall BMW having an issue that killed their customers before. do you?

As for your last inane comment, if you hate BMW so much, what are you doing here?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by hooch999

F.ck BMW!
If you look at the window sticker on any Lexus it says "Toyota Corporation of Japan". And if you look at any infniti it says "Nissan Corporation of Japan". Toyota makes Lexus, Nissan makes Infiniti, they are all made from the same parts as their lower priced counter parts. And keep flaunting your ignorance buddy, there were many affected G35's and still are today. They don't make the G35 in the U.S. As a matter of fact, the only car that Infiniti makes in the U.S is the QX. But please keep on posting. Your display of ignorance is quite amusing

BTW, I've attached the TSB from Infiniti about the "Oil Consumption" issue, as they call it. If you ask your mommy politely, maybe she can read it to you out loud. Ask her to read the top part where it says "APPLIED VEHICLES" and you will see that it clearly affected both the G35 Coupe and the G35 Sedan. And since it's obvious you have no deductive reasoning abilities, I'll draw the conclusion for you - the recall affected only models with Manual Transmissions. You should also note the statement earlier in this post - The only Infiniti made in America is the QX - how is it then Nissan/Infiniti issued the TSB on Infiniti cars built exclusively in Japan? Ask your mommy, maybe she can show you on a map where Japan is located. I can save you some trouble and tell you that is not part of North America. I'll leave you to figure out the rest
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
INFINITI ITB08-002c.pdf (123.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1BadDuc
If you look at the window sticker on any Lexus it says "Toyota Corporation of Japan". And if you look at any infniti it says "Nissan Corporation of Japan". Toyota makes Lexus, Nissan makes Infiniti, they are all made from the same parts as their lower priced counter parts. And keep flaunting your ignorance buddy, there were many affected G35's and still are today. They don't make the G35 in the U.S. As a matter of fact, the only car that Infiniti makes in the U.S is the QX. But please keep on posting. Your display of ignorance is quite amusing

BTW, I've attached the TSB from Infiniti about the "Oil Consumption" issue, as they call it. If you ask your mommy politely, maybe she can read it to you out loud. Ask her to read the top part where it says "APPLIED VEHICLES" and you will see that it clearly affected both the G35 Coupe and the G35 Sedan. And since it's obvious you have no deductive reasoning abilities, I'll draw the conclusion for you - the recall affected only models with Manual Transmissions. You should also note the statement earlier in this post - The only Infiniti made in America is the QX - how is it then Nissan/Infiniti issued the TSB on Infiniti cars built exclusively in Japan? Ask your mommy, maybe she can show you on a map where Japan is located. I can save you some trouble and tell you that is not part of North America. I'll leave you to figure out the rest
+1000 TFF!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Members

An update to what I found and the email I sent to BMWNA. I wonder if this is a common hidden problem? Local service shops and BMW gave me phone estimates ranging in the $3k to $7k for the repairs. I'm into it it for about $600-700 in BMW parts and about $1300 in new tools (includes clone GT1 scanner) to service my three BMW. Any one else have problems with timing chain in there 525i?

I had a recent problem with our 525i. I was driving it and it lost power/died. The car would not restart and no error lights or messages were displayed on the IDrive. I had the car towed home. After the initial check of the vehicle, it showed the crank sensor fault. I noticed a bunch of metal throw off in the oil filter and the vehicle did not have compression in cylinder 2 and 6. I was thinking catastrophic engine failure.

Since I am very familiar with American/Japanese vehicles, I decided to look into the problem myself after getting no response from BMWNA. The car is out of warranty with 85K miles.

The metal throw off was due to the timing chain jumping off of the exhaust cam gear and grinding against the back of it. The cause of the problem was the two aluminum screws under the cam shaft gears which mount the head to the block. Both heads were broken off and one made its way up the chain getting caught in the chain and gear. I don?t know if this is a common problem but for the bolts to break it would be due over torqued/tighten bolts or extreme pressure from expanding/contracting of the magnesium vs aluminum. I suspect over tightening. The other broken bolt head is still some where in the bottom of the oil pan. The exhaust cam gear was chewed up, but still serviceable. I re-timed the car and checked the compression. I got lucky and compression is good so no bent valves. I disassemble everything and now I patiently waiting for several parts. However, I'm still dealing with the broken head that is some where in the oil pan.

I re-contacted BMWNA and the customer service rep took down some information and stated there was nothing they could or would do for me. She noted my concerns to better service future customers and advised me to take the vehicle to the dealer. I asked to speak to some else and she stated she was only in customer service and no one there could assist me. I'm a bit surprised, because I have always had excellent dealings with BMW. I recall a time when BMWNA representative personally called me to rectify a warranty issue. The dealer did not want to cover the item under CPO. A person from corporate assisted me and earned my loyalty. This is the reason why we currently own 3 BMWs (05 325XI, 06 525i, and 07 335i). I understand car maintenance is a must, but when something is not the fault of the owner should I have to bear the entire cost of the repair. I?m not asking for anything other than consideration or a return call from anyone who has the authority assist me.

Sincerely

H. Chi
Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by hansen
For my particular year motor the N52B30

I just hit 82k and she runs like a champ!

How common is this issue, this is the first I've heard about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
BTW Don't ever by a Trane AC unit for your house, it's nothing more than a piece of crap...

WTH? LOL
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

[quote name='G530' timestamp='1311826761' post='1366547']
WTH? LOL
[/quote
Exactly my point. People ranting and raving and expecting infinite warranties coverage. They say you can't stop a Trane mine did without any effort...
Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Members

My 06 530i had the cylinder head replaced under warranty because of a noise in the engine at 42k miles. I am happy to have the new head design.

Quick Reply: BMW owner beware