E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW nostalgia: the headlight flash

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Hi all,
I've been up here on gorgeous Cape Cod for the last two weeks enjoying the constant clear sunshine, cool temps, golf and fresh seafood. Of course, it's been sensational to drive my vehicle outside the confines of NYC and the ever expanding gut wrenching traffic of the tri-state area.
With some space to reflect without stress, I remember the times driving BMWs, particularly the 1600 and the red 2002, when they were so rare that we used to flash our beams at other just to say "hi" to a fellow BMW enthusiast. It was nice to be part of a small network of drivers who didn't care if we were often confused with VWs because we knew what these vehicles were capable of. (Great second and third gears!) Nevermind the rusting fenders and the cooling systems that often drove that temp needle dangerously toward the red zone, ownership became a life long addiction and that simple act of flashing each other was a happy little moment each time I flipped the lever back.
Lamenting the end of another summer,
Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Members

Hello 1600 from an E61 owner from Boston who weekends on the Cape year 'round! Isn't the weather just great today?

I too remember those days, as my first car was a 1974 2002tii. It always put a smile on my face when others flashed back :::sigh::: although I did recently get a BIG wave from a woman from FL on her way to the Cape in a twin 530xiT

It seems nowadays, the only time I'm using the flashers is to try to get cell phone talking, SUV driving, left lane slow pokes to move over. :thumbsdown:
Old 09-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't go back as far as you folks -- datewise -- but I do remember many people flashing me in my E30 M3. Most of the time, they were other E30 M3's that were doing the flashing since we sort of had our own "exclusive club."

I do remember experiencing the same thing back in the eighties when I drove my brother-in-law's SAAB 900S and his 900S Turbo. At that time, SAAB owners were very loyal and enthusiastic about the brand so they all flashed each other...
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I'm amazed with those stories. Where I'm from, a flash-to-pass, BMW or not, will be met with either a a strong stomp on the brakes or a some other similar form of road rage.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='467343' date='Sep 8 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm amazed with those stories. Where I'm from, a flash-to-pass, BMW or not, will be met with either a a strong stomp on the brakes or a some other similar form of road rage.
You might be misinterpreting how it was done -- usually, the flash was given to another driver heading the other direction -- it wasn't done as you approached from behind...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah yes... the exclusivity and the excitement of the "HI," I remember that... and yes I miss it too... Oh no, I dont go back as far as the 2002 but that flash to say hi and wave when you pass by the same car went as far back as the introductory year of the new MINI for me. I got a MINI during the first year of when it was released and it was an exclusive "cult" for a good year to two then... but with the E60... too common... never got any waives...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I am probably dating myself, but my first recollection of cars flashing each other was back when Porsches used to flash or wave when they past. My dad had a series of different 356 Porsches (a 1600S, and a couple of Super90s). When I drove them, drivers would always flash or wave going by. Also, no one that owned a Porsche would ever call it a "Porsch" back then. It was a nice feeling. I guess each car goes through this when they first start out, it's like a little club. Then, as they become more popular, or become the "in" car, a lot of people stop understanding the cars and just drive them for status. Oh well, that's life I guess.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

I recall this in the early 90s as I drove my E30 coupe from NY to AZ, and everywhere else I went. Good times. There was even a time I was pulled over and ticketed by a not-so-understanding highway patrolman. Ever hear of a ticket for "improper use of headlights"??
Old 09-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributors

I still flash other 2002 drivers when I see one approaching which of course is getting rarer and rarer. When they flashed back, I'd either wave or nod at them as we passed each other.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='467337' date='Sep 8 2007, 11:07 AM
Hello 1600 from an E61 owner from Boston who weekends on the Cape year 'round! Isn't the weather just great today?

I too remember those days, as my first car was a 1974 2002tii. It always put a smile on my face when others flashed back :::sigh::: although I did recently get a BIG wave from a woman from FL on her way to the Cape in a twin 530xiT

It seems nowadays, the only time I'm using the flashers is to try to get cell phone talking, SUV driving, left lane slow pokes to move over. :thumbsdown:
You are so fortunate to live here and be able to make a living here! I cannot think of anywhere in the world I would rather be. Alas,I leave tomorrow, Sunday.
Cheers

Quick Reply: BMW nostalgia: the headlight flash