E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by NC916
Ah I see maybe I have both because they said I am covered on everything they have on the warranties.

Which is basically what I said....not knowing what year model car you have, or whether or not you bought it new or a CPO, etc its hard to determine. However, you should know whether or not you bought the entended Maint agreement, as they would have charged several thousand dollars extra when you bought the car. However your assumption is correct, you can just call the dealer you bought it from and they will let you know if its under extended "Maintenance" or not.

Good rule of thumb is:

Extended Warranty = Fixes the car if it breaks (for cover parts)
Extended Maintenance = Replaces fluids and parts design to be replace at selected intervals with the maint period

They are not one in the same!

GL
Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Thanks for this info, it is very useful. BAV Auto is recommending to change the transmission and transfer case fluid every 2yr or 50K miles. BMW recommends 6yr/100K??? I am more in line with the BAV Auto maintenance schedule on this.

I tried to get the fluid changed and I called 3 dealerships and they told me...we will change, but you will have to sign a waiver releasing the dealership of any fault. I find this crazy!

Do I wait 6 years to change or take a chance now?

What do you guys think?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Originally Posted by IceyTys
Which is basically what I said....not knowing what year model car you have, or whether or not you bought it new or a CPO, etc its hard to determine. However, you should know whether or not you bought the entended Maint agreement, as they would have charged several thousand dollars extra when you bought the car. However your assumption is correct, you can just call the dealer you bought it from and they will let you know if its under extended "Maintenance" or not.

Good rule of thumb is:

Extended Warranty = Fixes the car if it breaks (for cover parts)
Extended Maintenance = Replaces fluids and parts design to be replace at selected intervals with the maint period

They are not one in the same!

GL
cool thanks bro for the info
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributors

good PDF!!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
Thanks for this info, it is very useful. BAV Auto is recommending to change the transmission and transfer case fluid every 2yr or 50K miles. BMW recommends 6yr/100K??? I am more in line with the BAV Auto maintenance schedule on this.

I tried to get the fluid changed and I called 3 dealerships and they told me...we will change, but you will have to sign a waiver releasing the dealership of any fault. I find this crazy!

Do I wait 6 years to change or take a chance now?

What do you guys think?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought only xi models had transfer cases?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Another source of good, independent maintenance advise is Mike Miller, tech editor of Roundel, Bimmer, etc. You can email him at his BMWCCA.org email, and he'll send you back his analysis and recommendations. Well worth the read.
Cal