E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you think BMW have failed in producing a decent solution to loading new software on their cars?
Yes - Their software laoding takes too long.
50.00%
Yes it Sucks - Self explanatory
18.75%
No - I am happy with long software install times
12.50%
Don't Know - Have had the 'pleasure
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

BMW E60 CIP Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Steptronic, Dark Blue, 18" wheels, Car Phone, Sports Seats, Active Xeons, Professional Navigation, Logic 7, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive Cruise Cotrol, Rear Blind, Ski Compartment, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Window Blinds....

Many of us have been through the pain of booking our cars in for a one day service, only to end up waiting days or even weeks because "we are struggling to laod the software (CIP) on your car Sir".

On a good day it can up to 21 hours to install about 50 - 100MB of software....something even Bill Gates would be embarassed by!!

To equates this to PC's, at this data rate Windows XP would take a couple of weeks to install on your home PC and yet there is more processing power in the ECU's in your car!!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Mark545' date='Jul 25 2005, 10:43 AM
Many of us have been through the pain of booking our cars in for a one day service, only to end up waiting days or even weeks because "we are struggling to laod the software (CIP) on your car Sir".

On a good day it can up to 21 hours to install about 50 - 100MB of software....something even Bill Gates would be embarassed by!!

To equates this to PC's, at this data rate Windows XP would take a couple of weeks to install on your home PC and yet there is more processing power in the ECU's in your car!!
[snapback]152855[/snapback]
100Mbytes = 838860800 bits
21 hours = 75600 seconds

To take 21 hours to load the flash image, the link would need to be very slow ~ 11 kilobits/sec (if my math is right - it's a Monday). The image might need to be copied to the proper location once it is loaded, which might take some time depending on certain variables.

Something like Zmodem over a very slow serial connection (9600) could take that long. This is actually quite possible, since a lot of IT gear utilizes 9-pin serial connectors for command line access and firmware upload. If there is a quicker way, then it sounds like they're likely screwing it up and having to redo it a bunch of times. I'd be more inclined to believe that they're using the bluetooth and getting too many bit errors, forcing reloads. Either that or they put the wrong image(s) on and have to redo it a bunch of times.

Does anyone know how many pieces the firmware comes in? I know my digital camera has two different firmwares that must be done in series to fully update it. I'd imagine something as complex as our cars could have a handful or a dozen such steps to perform to complete an update.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I just got my car back from the first service today.
They did an update to CIP 18.1
I dropped the car off on Thursday last week.

I'm happy that the work is done, and I have my car back... the dealership did do a good job.... but honestly, why would a company use software that takes this long to update? This is the 21st century. You can buy a home computer with almost 4.0 GHz processor in it. We have internet connections at our homes that run 4 times faster than a T1 line.... yet it takes days to update the software in a BMW?

I don't see how this couldn't be a source of horrific embarrassment to BMW.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I wonder if this issue only impacts certain dealers. I think most dealers MAY have it down now. My last few updates have only taken a few hours. I drop off in the morning and the car has been ready in the afternoon.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 25 2005, 02:06 PM
I just got my car back from the first service today.
They did an update to CIP 18.1
I dropped the car off on Thursday last week.

I'm happy that the work is done, and I have my car back...? the dealership did do a good job....? but honestly, why would a company use software that takes this long to update?? This is the 21st century.? You can buy a home computer with almost 4.0 GHz processor in it.? We have internet connections at our homes that run 4 times faster than a T1 line....? yet it takes days to update the software in a BMW?

I don't see how this couldn't be a source of horrific embarrassment to BMW.
[snapback]152981[/snapback]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I took back delivery of my vehicle after 4 days at the dealership. They managed to screw up my steering wheel alignment after the software update..... obviously this has something to do with the Active Steering reset.

What I don't understand is.... how can they still get the steering wheel messed up? It's such a simple task, and even easier to catch. I mean.... all they have to do is take the car for a short drive. My steering wheel is like 15 degrees off center.... anyone who drives it would be like... man... this steering wheel is fvcked.

That's twice in 6 months I'm going to have to take my car in to the dealer to have my steering wheel straightened.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Humm you're missing an option...

BMW E60 CIP Install, Did BMW mess up?
"No - and I'm happy with the reasonable amount of software install time."

mine took only a day.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Steptronic, Dark Blue, 18" wheels, Car Phone, Sports Seats, Active Xeons, Professional Navigation, Logic 7, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive Cruise Cotrol, Rear Blind, Ski Compartment, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Window Blinds....

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Jul 25 2005, 06:13 PM
[quote name='Mark545' date='Jul 25 2005, 10:43 AM']Many of us have been through the pain of booking our cars in for a one day service, only to end up waiting days or even weeks because "we are struggling to laod the software (CIP) on your car Sir".

[snapback]152855[/snapback]
100Mbytes = 838860800 bits
21 hours = 75600 seconds

To take 21 hours to load the flash image, the link would need to be very slow ~ 11 kilobits/sec (if my math is right - it's a Monday). The image might need to be copied to the proper location once it is loaded, which might take some time depending on certain variables.

Something like Zmodem over a very slow serial connection (9600) could take that long. This is actually quite possible, since a lot of IT gear utilizes 9-pin serial connectors for command line access and firmware upload. If there is a quicker way, then it sounds like they're likely screwing it up and having to redo it a bunch of times. I'd be more inclined to believe that they're using the bluetooth and getting too many bit errors, forcing reloads. Either that or they put the wrong image(s) on and have to redo it a bunch of times.

Does anyone know how many pieces the firmware comes in? I know my digital camera has two different firmwares that must be done in series to fully update it. I'd imagine something as complex as our cars could have a handful or a dozen such steps to perform to complete an update.
[snapback]152869[/snapback]
[/quote]

My most recent expierience (installing CIP 17.1) identified 28 'control units' with firmware that had to be upgraded. The challenge experienced was that the software load starts, and successfully updates say ten units and then fails to say that the 11th units hardware is incompatible with the new version of software. This results in BMW replacing the unit and then starting from scratch... Then it fails on another unit, say the 14th and so and so on.... My last update resulted in five other hardware units being replaced.... (Fortunately the car is on BMW's motorplan so there is no cost involved)

When they finally had a clean run where all the units updated properly, the update took 21 hours.... The key problem being that you don't seem to be able to update on unit, it is all or nothing, and that takes a serious amount of time and one interruption such as a door being opened crashes the update and the have to start from the beginning again!!!

In terms of the connectivity it appears that they are using a basic serial interface via a cable that is plugged in that does not have any ability to correct bit errors. Out of interest there is also a fibre connection point under the cubby that when used reduces the download by about 30 minutes but I believe that it is a sod to get to so thay don't bother....
Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 26 2005, 05:31 AM
Humm you're missing an option...

BMW E60 CIP Install, Did BMW mess up?
"No - and I'm happy with the reasonable amount of software install time."

mine took only a day.
[snapback]153107[/snapback]
Sorry EBMCS03, you are right, I should have put that option in. Interestingly, it appears that your car does not have a host of options which clearly seems to aggrevate the process.....
Old 07-26-2005, 04:25 AM
Contributors

I don't care how many people here think the software is fine..... it is a simple fact that it is not.

A software update should take 10 minutes..... max.

It should crash maybe one time in 100.

This is the 21st century..... we have the technology for this.... and it is not expensive..... especially not for a $70,000 car.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 2006 Jet Black w/tan leather. Premium package; Sport Package; Sat Radio

I totally agree! My car had to get a complete reload. It took 2 hours.....it should have only taken 10 mins. Also, the reason I had to get a complete reload is that the patch update crashed.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 CIP Install