E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW destroyed today Wife is OK

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Aug 30 2004, 02:54 PM
First, I am also very glad your wife (and passenger) are ok.? Second, it now looks like E60's have a bum, unreliable passenger front air bag.? Depending on the passenger's weight, I am shocked that the opposite side air bag deployed without the front deploying.? This is potentially very very bad and may be a very large lawsuit waiting to happen.? From all signs, BMW is holding this one very close to the vest until they know/figure out what to do.? Then come the recall notices.? I'm quite worried now, hearing of this fellow's lack of front pass. deployment.? Please let us know if it was a child sitting there.? Anything over 40 pounds sitting there should deploy a front bag, especially if the side one deploys, and the side air bag opposite the collision.? I'm not an expert in this field, but holy safety problem Batman.

Sam
Sam, the passenger air bag did not need to deploy. Remember the passenger was OK. It was not a frontal impact and the smart bag figured that out. OTOH, it also figured out that the driver needed protection since that was where the brunt of the force impacted. The passenger side bag offered protection in the right area, too. If anything, I do believe we all should have great confidence in the E60 air bag scheme from the accounts Bimmeroc Ali has posted for us.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with JDN. It's a stretch to assume that the car didn't perform as designed. The days of every airbag firing off on any impact are over. They are much smarter and should be since many times, the bags themselves cause injuries to a person who otherwise would have been fine.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:46 PM
JDN
Contributors

. . . not to mention unnecessary expense for replacing errant air bags deploying.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:56 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Ok, I'll go with it. I'm sorry to sound alarmed and am extremely pleased everyone was ok. Occupant protection in the event of an accident is certainly better in a bimmer than about anything else out there and that is one of the main reasons I bought myself one. Again, sorry about freaking out. I'm definitely looking forward to ironing out the blinking light.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 08-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I know all others have said it, but I have to say it, too: glad to hear your wife is fine. It is good to know it has some integrity, in an impact that could really intrude on the driver's footwell, from the pictures. Such Oblique and front quarter side impacts often result in foot and leg injuries to the driver.

The crash test pictures from BMW (on the CD you got with the car) showing the front end crumpling up to absorb impacts show that the front end is really built to absorb that energy.

From the buckling of the engine compartment bracing, and the side impact right at the firewall, doesn't it look like the firewall will be bent? With all that touchy aluminum forward of the firewall, I hope they just give you a fresh one.

I didn't order the rear airbags (the sales guy said they are a bad idea with child seats, anyhow); but I'm beginning to think it was a mistake not to order all the safety protection I could.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Aug 30 2004, 05:53 PM
I didn't order the rear airbags (the sales guy said they are a bad idea with child seats, anyhow); but I'm beginning to think it was a mistake not to order all the safety protection I could.
They're not a bad idea with child seats as long as you use the seats properly. The biggest risk to children from rear airbags is when the child is laying on the door sleeping, etc.

A properly restrained child in a car seat or booster should not be injured by a door airbag.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 30 2004, 04:01 PM
[quote name='tab545' date='Aug 30 2004, 05:53 PM'] I didn't order the rear airbags (the sales guy said they are a bad idea with child seats, anyhow); but I'm beginning to think it was a mistake not to order all the safety protection I could.
They're not a bad idea with child seats as long as you use the seats properly. The biggest risk to children from rear airbags is when the child is laying on the door sleeping, etc.

A properly restrained child in a car seat or booster should not be injured by a door airbag. [/quote]
Thanks. That makes sense. Next time.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Members

Thank You all for the concerns. Got a call from the shop today and the car will be written off. The Firewall is damaged and it cannot be repaired as per bmw. Wife has some back pains but seems to be getting better and driving again. Well here we go car hunting again.......