E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Assist Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008
Default BMW Assist Renewal

Are people renewing the BMW Assist program? I never received any notification from BMW since the car's four years expired. I don't miss it since I haven't had any emergencies, so that is good. But at $200 per year going forward, even if I elect to renew, I am not sure if I want to do this as long as I own the car. I don't use the concierge service, so just looking at the basic plan.

Any thoughts of recommendations of the Assist program? Or should I just save my money, so I am leaning toward not renewing.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

why would anyone use this when everyone has a phone now??? what does does this do that i cant do using my smart phone?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1, I had it and never used it and would never pay for it...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

You run into a tree and get knocked out...From what I understand, BMW Assist will automatically call and send help to your GPS location.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Those were my very thoughts. With a phone, I can always call AAA or seek help in other ways. The only issue I have is whether the vehicle tracking, in case of theft, was genuine and effective.

If the traffic ahead warning was part of the BMW Assist or separate with the navi system.

The immobilizer is built in, so I still have some level of protection...

As long as I have the traffic warning and the anti-theft, I can do without the vehicle tracking and remote key lockout for $200 a year.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by nell
Those were my very thoughts. With a phone, I can always call AAA or seek help in other ways. The only issue I have is whether the vehicle tracking, in case of theft, was genuine and effective.

If the traffic ahead warning was part of the BMW Assist or separate with the navi system.

The immobilizer is built in, so I still have some level of protection...

As long as I have the traffic warning and the anti-theft, I can do without the vehicle tracking and remote key lockout for $200 a year.
I personally at first wasn't going to renew. However when I looked at what I do when I get in the car, plugging in my iPhone into the connection cable, I figured it might be worth renewing since my phone could get knocked out of reach in a accident. I never got a notice however when I called to cancel the account initially they asked why I was and then offered me 15 months instead of 12 months at a discounted price (btw this works great with cable/internet providers). So I decided it would be worth it with the accident auto notification and dispatching, gps locating, and remote lock feature. The traffic is not part of the BMW assist but is part of your navi's traffice talk. If I remember correctly it pulls the traffic info from the FM radio broadcasts like the Tom Tom's and Garmin's.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Contributors

I think many of the points raised by other posters are valid. That said, when my "Assist" plan expired on my '07 I did renew it. I do feel it's "over-priced" compared to most alternative road-service options and vehicle tracking etc. But, in NJ there was an insurance policy offset of about 25% on my liability coverage that reduced the net cost. And, considering it's coverage I never used you might consider it money thrown away but isn't that what insurance amounts to anyway ?? Money spent until you need to use it and if you don't have it - well, that's my point of view.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Members

The vehicle tracking feature may qualify you for a discount on your insurance. It could offset some of the cost of BMW assist. In my 2010 model with Navi, the BMW Assist feature also enables use of the BMW iPhone App. It allows me to search for places on google maps and send it to the car. It also allows me to remotely unlock the vehicle if I forget my keys inside.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

As luigi noted it does affect insurance. On my ins. policy I receive a $100 rebate for vehicle tracking so net cost is only $99.
I, too, send Google info to the car all the time and after being in an accident with my E60 I realize that a phone may not be accessible; e.g. my sunglasses and other front seat items were on the back seat floor.

Its worth it to me.