5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   BMW Assist for North America (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/bmw-assist-north-america-10717/)

vern 06-09-2005 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 9 2005, 06:35 PM
On a semi-related note, can someone confirm to me that the BMW Assist feature can be used as a Lojack-type tracking device to locate a stolen car? The BMW Assist contract implies this strongly but doesn't say it outright. I'd like to know because if I can confirm to my insurer that this is the case I can get a discount.
[snapback]126350[/snapback]

This is what you must do if your car is stolen: Stolen Vehicle Recovery,Call BMW Assist Response Center by calling toll free (888)333-6118 Immediately after filing your police report.The center can remotely activate your BMW Assist system to locate your vehicle and help the police recover it. This feature may reduce your comprehensive insurance premium.
Hopes this helps
cheers
vern

UUronL 06-09-2005 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Jun 9 2005, 02:47 PM
I have tried to activiate my BMW Assist 3 times. So far no luck. Each time I tried doing it by pressing the SOS button in the car. The first time they could get my voice information, but not the data part from my car. They asked me to try again a different time.
The second time I still had the same problem, but they were more helpful and told me that my dealer needed to do something to activate the sending of the data part of the SOS call.

I went in for service, yesterday, and they fixed that at my dealer.

Trying to activate the system last night resulted in another nice conversation with the BMW Assist center, but still no activation. They now say that they receive all of the data as well as voice when I press the button, but my dealer has not sent them any subsriber information on me.? :blink:

Called my dealer again today and the service rep tells me that sales needs to do that. I have a call into my sales guy now.

It has been 3 months that I've had the car now and still no BMW Assist.

:angry:
[snapback]137983[/snapback]

Heh, I sat in the dealership watching my sales rep input all that info. We went out to the car and he called them to activate, and they claimed it wasn't in the system. The woman on the phone said he must not have hit the proper button to submit everything to them, that it should be instantaneous. My car is due to go in, so I'm going to have them do it after hearing some of these stories.

EBMCS03 06-09-2005 04:02 PM

Ah great! I have not tried the SOS button since the upgrade... should I go try it? I dont want it to call 911 though... But I want to make sure its working properly...

cobradav 06-10-2005 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by vern' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:06 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='May 9 2005, 06:35 PM']On a semi-related note, can someone confirm to me that the BMW Assist feature can be used as a Lojack-type tracking device to locate a stolen car? The BMW Assist contract implies this strongly but doesn't say it outright. I'd like to know because if I can confirm to my insurer that this is the case I can get a discount.
[snapback]126350[/snapback]

This is what you must do if your car is stolen: Stolen Vehicle Recovery,Call BMW Assist Response Center by calling toll free (888)333-6118 Immediately after filing your police report.The center can remotely activate your BMW Assist system to locate your vehicle and help the police recover it. This feature may reduce your comprehensive insurance premium.
Hopes this helps
cheers
vern
[snapback]138013[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly right. Dealer gave me the Stolen Vehicle Recovery paperwork and State Farm gave me another discount.

Rudy 06-10-2005 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by vern' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:06 PM
This is what you must do if your car is stolen: Stolen Vehicle Recovery,Call BMW Assist Response Center by calling toll free (888)333-6118? Immediately after filing your police report.The center can remotely activate your BMW Assist system to locate your vehicle and help the police recover it. This feature may reduce your comprehensive insurance premium.
Hopes this helps
cheers
vern
[snapback]138013[/snapback]

As an FYI, I think this is true on 2005 cars and newer...

jmdhuse 06-10-2005 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:02 PM
Ah great! I have not tried the SOS button since the upgrade... should I go try it? I dont want it to call 911 though... But I want to make sure its working properly...
[snapback]138089[/snapback]

I've not tried the SOS button, but I can make the BMW Assist call through the Idrive system. That is how I made my initiation call... Perhaps this approach will let you test your car with the confidence that you won't "cry wolf" to the 911 operator...

Cheers, Jon.

Magneto 06-10-2005 08:54 AM

My dealer must recognize there are 'glitches' in the SOS function. When I picked up my new car, the sales guy asked if I would try the SOS button during his brief system 'run through'. BMW Assist came on the line, verified the recently inputted profile information, verified my current location and offered to capture my credit card info (which I declined).

vern 06-10-2005 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Magneto' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:54 AM
My dealer must recognize there are 'glitches' in the SOS function.? When I picked up my new car, the sales guy asked if I would try the SOS button during his brief system 'run through'.? BMW Assist came on the line, verified the recently inputted profile information, verified my current location and offered to capture my credit card info (which I declined).
[snapback]138255[/snapback]

Normally if your SOS doesn't work you will get a SOS Malfunction on the display.Thats what happen to me when I upgraded to 16.2.They put in 4 NEW TCU Units before it was corrected and now everthing is ok.
cheers
vern

vern 06-10-2005 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Magneto' date='Jun 10 2005, 11:54 AM
My dealer must recognize there are 'glitches' in the SOS function.? When I picked up my new car, the sales guy asked if I would try the SOS button during his brief system 'run through'.? BMW Assist came on the line, verified the recently inputted profile information, verified my current location and offered to capture my credit card info (which I declined).
[snapback]138255[/snapback]

Normally if your SOS doesn't work you will get a SOS Malfunction on the display.Thats what happen to me when I upgraded to 16.2.They put in 4 NEW TCU Units before it was corrected and now everthing is ok.
cheers
vern

sg530 06-10-2005 11:14 PM

Learned about theft recovery option today but they (BMW Assist) say it can't be retrofitted on an 04. Anybody any ideas on that? I asked similar question on another thread as well.
If they can activate a tracker remotely, can they not unlock a door too?? Competition from Onstar must hurt.