E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Assist - complementary first 4 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528i xDrive
Default BMW Assist - complementary first 4 years

I purchased my 2010 528xi April 2013. This week I was looking at some information on the BMW website and found out about BMW Assist. It said that BMW paid this service for the first 4 years (no mention of mileage.) I contacted them (e-mail) and they requested my VIN. After providing it, they said I was covered with the service until May 2014. The BMW dealer never mentioned it. BMW Assist requested a copy of my registration, name, address, and phone. They said they would complete the enrollment and forward a copy of the agreement to me. After the May 2014 time, it will cost $199 annually. They also stated my "unit" may need to be reprogrammed by the dealer.

If your BMW is within the 4 year time limit (from in-service date) you may still have some complementary time with BMW Assist. Below is their e-mail address to check.
customercare@bmwassist.com
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Contributors

A bit surprising your BMW dealer (sales person) didn't tell you about BMW Assist and complete the registration for you. Is this your first time buying / leasing a BMW?? If so, you should ask the service adviser to run the VIN and tell you what services and repairs were done (they can't usually give you the print-out because it may contain personal information about the previous owner.). It also will give you an inventory of the options installed and - THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT - any BMW Service Coverages that follow the car. Especially look to see if the original owner bought the extended maintenance service warranty that extends scheduled maintenance an add'l 2 years and up to 100K miles.

As far as "programming" BMW Assist .. YIKES!!! That's really really really ODD. There is NOTHING to program!! I recommend you do your homework before these guys try to sell you a bridge in the dessert ;-)

BTW the Assist "program" provides coverage for 4 years / 50K miles and it also follows the vehicle - regardless of who owns/leases it. And it may be continued after that time for $199 / yr as you noted. Concierge service is optional and extra.

Last edited by luigi524td; 06-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
A bit surprising your BMW dealer (sales person) didn't tell you about BMW Assist and complete the registration for you. Is this your first time buying / leasing a BMW?? If so, you should ask the service adviser to run the VIN and tell you what services and repairs were done (they can't usually give you the print-out because it may contain personal information about the previous owner.). It also will give you an inventory of the options installed and - THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT - any BMW Service Coverages that follow the car. Especially look to see if the original owner bought the extended maintenance service warranty that extends scheduled maintenance an add'l 2 years and up to 100K miles.

As far as "programming" BMW Assist .. YIKES!!! That's really really really ODD. There is NOTHING to program!! I recommend you do your homework before these guys try to sell you a bridge in the dessert ;-)

BTW the Assist "program" provides coverage for 4 years / 50K miles and it also follows the vehicle - regardless of who owns/leases it. And it may be continued after that time for $199 / yr as you noted. Concierge service is optional and extra.
Yes, first BMW (of recent years anyway.) I also am surprised the selling BMW dealer didn't tell me. They should have known about the BMW Assist coverage. It was the BMW Assist people that mentioned the possible programing. I won't do anything for now. I want to see what they send me.
I bought it as a CPO at 51k miles. They didn't mention the possibility of it having an extended warranty already. I bought an "EasyCare Gold Certified Wrap" that covers repairs (to 6yr/100k).

Is there a way to check the VIN for any other items, as you mention (maintenance, repairs, extended maintenance, etc) without doing it at the dealer?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Originally Posted by Image2Pixel
I purchased my 2010 528xi April 2013. This week I was looking at some information on the BMW website and found out about BMW Assist. It said that BMW paid this service for the first 4 years (no mention of mileage.) I contacted them (e-mail) and they requested my VIN. After providing it, they said I was covered with the service until May 2014. The BMW dealer never mentioned it. BMW Assist requested a copy of my registration, name, address, and phone. They said they would complete the enrollment and forward a copy of the agreement to me. After the May 2014 time, it will cost $199 annually. They also stated my "unit" may need to be reprogrammed by the dealer.

If your BMW is within the 4 year time limit (from in-service date) you may still have some complementary time with BMW Assist. Below is their e-mail address to check.
customercare@bmwassist.com
Also, if you have NAV, & an iPhone, you can send google destinations to your car using the BMW remote app. You can also send from a computer. Shows up under your BMW assist tab in Idrive. the app allows for remote lock/unlock, & maybe other features since you have the CIC idrive.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer
Also, if you have NAV, & an iPhone, you can send google destinations to your car using the BMW remote app. You can also send from a computer. Shows up under your BMW assist tab in Idrive. the app allows for remote lock/unlock, & maybe other features since you have the CIC idrive.
Mikey, thanks. I wasn't aware of that app. I've downloaded it.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

You're welcome! Just make sure you save your BMW assist email & password. You'll need it for the app. I believe the only programming that is needed is adapting your account to the service. The remote app also can locate your vehicle using google maps. The best feature of BMW assist is if your airbags deploy, the car automatically sends out an SOS to BMW assist.