E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Assist

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Just recieved a nice letter in the mail today from BMW Assist, asking me if I wished to renew the service that is just about to expire, for $190.00 CDN per year.I have used it a few times to get them to download destinations on my Nav, but I can't see it's real value.Anyone renew it or have any thoughts on the real usefullness of this service?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

I've never had to use BMW Assist or intend to use. But, I think it will come in handy if your vehicle is stolen or if you are in a vehicle accident. I believe they can track your vehicle if it's stolen and they can call help for you in an accident.

I was in a car accident in my previous Benz, which had a similar service to BMW Assist, and immediately after my front airbags deployed, a representative called me and called 9-1-1 for me.

For me, it's worth every penny. BTW, for Benz the annual cost was $200+ and this was 4+ years ago so BMW Assist is actually less expensive.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Yes I would. I am calling assist right now my car wont start .
Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Members

How long is BMW assist free for? It works for me but i dont remember paying anything?!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by msport530d
How long is BMW assist free for? It works for me but i dont remember paying anything?!
If it has never been activated on your car then your entitled to 6 months free. £125 for 12 months if I remember correctly.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Members

oh okay i was thinking how did it activate with them asking for no payment! lol i only applied for it last week or so, took a few days to activate. Guess i'll hear from them sometime next year then!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Originally Posted by Ben_XI
I've never had to use BMW Assist or intend to use. But, I think it will come in handy if your vehicle is stolen or if you are in a vehicle accident. I believe they can track your vehicle if it's stolen and they can call help for you in an accident.

I was in a car accident in my previous Benz, which had a similar service to BMW Assist, and immediately after my front airbags deployed, a representative called me and called 9-1-1 for me.

For me, it's worth every penny. BTW, for Benz the annual cost was $200+ and this was 4+ years ago so BMW Assist is actually less expensive.
Good point-I guess I will renew! Thanks.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by msport530d

in 2004 it was free for me for the first year. It also good to have if you should ever leave your keys in your BMW and lock it by accident, and you can call 1-800 BMW Assist can unlock your door for you by satellite, at least they did it for me when I left my keys in my Bimmer one time!! (LOL)

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
Just recieved a nice letter in the mail today from BMW Assist, asking me if I wished to renew the service that is just about to expire, for $190.00 CDN per year.I have used it a few times to get them to download destinations on my Nav, but I can't see it's real value.Anyone renew it or have any thoughts on the real usefullness of this service?
In the U.S., BMW Assist includes two different services:

The safety plan ($199 per year) which provides emergency notification, service scheduling, key unlock.
The convenience plan ($199 per year) which provides navigation downloads, weather and traffic data, and concierge.

You have to have the safety plan in order to get the convenience plan.

Up until last year, the concierge feature was awesome! You could use BMW Assist to check for availability, make reservations, and purchase tickets to events, restaurants, hotels, flights, etc. - provided you gave them your credit card info. Now they only look up information - I know they don't make financial transactions and I'm not sure they even make calls for information anymore. Their NAV service is spotty since you have to sometimes be very specific about the destination you are trying to get to. Last summer I used the NAV service to get directions to the Kennedy Space Center. The BMW Assist operator gave me directions to Orlando FL, but I knew for a fact KSC was near Titusville. If I didn't know this I would have ended up driving 100 miles in the wrong direction. Despite these quirks, overall I'm still satisfied.

If you do any type of travelling to unfamiliar locations then I would recommend BMW Assist.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 08 550 sport

I used it a few time and its great.

Quick Reply: BMW Assist