E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW AC Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default BMW AC Service

Has anyone had the BMW AC Service performed before? My dealer has it on special right now and I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost of $85.00. My e60 is getting a little musty smelling. Service includes per the web flyer:

- Full evaluation and inspection
- Performance check
- Refrigerant additional
- Clean, deodorize and disinfect air conditioning evaporator

Really interested in the deodorize and disinfect. I also know there are products out there for purchase that claim to do this as well.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

Seems like a waste to me. The A/C is a closed system, it should never need maintenance, unless something goes wrong.

I got the musty smell towards the end of the summer last year. It's from running the A/C all the time and when the car gets parked in warm/humid garage, some remaining water stays on the evaporator core and can get moldy so when you turn the car back on, that's the first thing you smell.
Try turning off the A/C a couple blocks before you get home to get rid of the residual water and I'd also look into replacing your cabin filters if they more than a year old.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:37 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by cakes
Seems like a waste to me. The A/C is a closed system, it should never need maintenance, unless something goes wrong.

I got the musty smell towards the end of the summer last year. It's from running the A/C all the time and when the car gets parked in warm/humid garage, some remaining water stays on the evaporator core and can get moldy so when you turn the car back on, that's the first thing you smell.
Try turning off the A/C a couple blocks before you get home to get rid of the residual water and I'd also look into replacing your cabin filters if they more than a year old.
+1
Especially on the turning off that AC...
Old 06-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by plowery21
Has anyone had the BMW AC Service performed before? My dealer has it on special right now and I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost of $85.00. My e60 is getting a little musty smelling. Service includes per the web flyer:

- Full evaluation and inspection
- Performance check
- Refrigerant additional
- Clean, deodorize and disinfect air conditioning evaporator

Really interested in the deodorize and disinfect. I also know there are products out there for purchase that claim to do this as well.
You're basically paying $85 for a can of BG Frigi-fresh.

There is nothing to 'inspect' in your AC system. It is a closed system. If there is a leak somewhere, you'll know it as you won't make it to the end of the day with AC. if your AC is functioning, you do not have a leak.

A can of BG Frigi-fresh is $20, maybe less. You spray it into the dash vents, and you're done. That's where your musty smell is coming from. Spend another $30 or so and mail order some new cabin filters.

Save your money.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

you are forgetting they wash the car... :-)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by cakes

Will try this. Car only gets driven on weekends so it sits a few days before I drive it.

Originally Posted by KyleB
You're basically paying $85 for a can of BG Frigi-fresh.

There is nothing to 'inspect' in your AC system. It is a closed system. If there is a leak somewhere, you'll know it as you won't make it to the end of the day with AC. if your AC is functioning, you do not have a leak.

A can of BG Frigi-fresh is $20, maybe less. You spray it into the dash vents, and you're done. That's where your musty smell is coming from. Spend another $30 or so and mail order some new cabin filters.

Save your money.
This is what I was looking for..I figured it was a ripoff from the Stealership, but thought I would check with others first.. I know Detailers Domaine has some disinfectant and deodorizer for sale. Illl look into BG. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pcy
you are forgetting they wash the car... :-)
Oh..but I pass on the wash..its nothing more than high schooler with a dirty brush scratching my car up. They always seems so confused when I say don't wash it..while there is a waiting room full of people waiting on the free wash.

Thanks everyone for confirming everything and saving me $$.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Members

I had to take it in quite often when I first got my E60 because I used auto recirculate or recirculate... it was done under warranty of course.

I let fresh air in last few minutes or few blocks before I turn off engine now I never take it in... no more smell. I guess doing that it dries everything out doesn't mold up... maybe it leaves things open for it to dry out sitting in sun or garage.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: None
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N54

This is what i did!! It might be different for you
After almost one week i had no a/c my mechanic took a quick 5 min look he was really busy all my pressure was fine when i went to him it was throwing "acceptable cool air" the next day it was blowing hot, today what i did i let some refrigerant out but using a screwdriver and a towel so the refrigerant doesn't go all over my engine... AND WALLAH! Freezing cold inside!! Took my little brother for a cruise and he came out with a headache complaining it is too cold in my e60! Lol Hope it helps but hey i was thinking i had to replace my compressor! Lol