E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW to abandon high-revving engines in M cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

BMW engines - whether turbo charged or normally aspirated - are already top drawer, and BMW's engineers certainly know a thing or two about handling. That said, the cars are (and can feel) heavy and a lot of the good work from the engine and chassis engineers is undone by excess flab. The only real problem right now with BMW, particularly at the higher end, is weight. BMW would be much better advised to focus on weight saving rather than developing new powerplants as its engines are already up there with the best in their class.

BMW already has the engines it needs - all it has to do is take excess weight out of the cars. It should be power to weight and not just power that defines and differentiates the M from the regular series.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='760274' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:29 PM
I have owned several turbo cars and many more NA cars. The TT 3.0 cars have the least amount of turbo lag of any turbo car I have experienced but they still had some lag. Torque from turbo charging or displacement is always a good thing but I prefer the throttle response of NA displacement.

The throttle response on my MT M3 was instant, telepathic almost. I have yet to drive a 3.0 TT that matches that response.
Showing a turbo car post that is having problems doesn't mean a normally operating one has turbo lag. I have read plenty here about hesitation on BMW NA cars, many have installed Sprint Booster to help throttle response on NA cars as well. My 535 runs well and it doesn't have turbo lag. Turbo lag means that there is a delay in getting an increase in power while the turbos spin up to speed, that doesn't occur on my car. Other than smaller turbos and very light weight materials giving it less inertia, BMW designed a fuel burst between the header port and turbo so the turbo doesn't initially need engine exhaust pressure to spin the turbo. Pretty sophisticated stuff for a street car. I remember on my 300ZX Turbo I would floor the car a second or so before I wanted the power because of turbo lag.
The 535 is deceptively fast because the torque curve is flat and the car is quiet, so it doesn't feel like its accelerating as hard as it is.