E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW 545i E60 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammar545i
How can us e60 owners know when our cars are overheating??? NO TEMP GAUGE!!!!!
You won't, short of using the secret menu which I understand can display water temp (I haven't tried it yet - Search this forum).

If you see the engine overheating light on the dash pull over immediately and turn the engine off.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Sapphire black -18' M5 wheels -Sport pack -LED Angel's

Lol yeah only if my damn active steering malfunction warning goes away, Do you know any way to reset this? I tried cutting the wheel left to right...but no luck
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ammar545i
Lol yeah only if my damn active steering malfunction warning goes away, Do you know any way to reset this? I tried cutting the wheel left to right...but no luck
Easy thing to check is your CHF11S level in the PSF reservoir. Low level can throw fault. I don't think you can clear the dash indicator unit the car starts with the fault gone (safety issue).

Do search on this forum as this is a recurring issue.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

sorry to revive an old thread but my dad's 545 is now overheating randomly & i was wondering if you can be of assistance

my e90 (325i) was doing this as well. turns out it was an electric water pump failure. replaced that & thermostat & the car is fine now... was wondering if this is also a common problem on the 545i
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

If the engine is not overheating due to low coolant then the likely culprit is either the water pump or thermostat. Other items like a plugged radiator and inoperable electric fan are possible causes, but not nearly as common as the pump or thermostat. If you are sure the fan runs when it gets hot you can discount that.

Tell your Dad to do himself and his engine a favor and quit playing Russian roulette.
That is exactly what repeated overheating is for an aluminum BMW engine. All gaskets are stressed.

Replace the water pump, thermostat, coolant tank, vent tube, hoses and belts. If any of these components have been replaced in the last two years you can remove them from the list. It is not a bad DIY job if you are handy, but if you are not have the work done as soon as possible.

Stay away from the Beck & Arnley thermostat which is junk. I used this thermostat last year and it didn't last a week before the heater coil burned out. The OE Wahler unit is a good unit.

Mark the direction of rotation on the old belts before they are removed and keep them in the trunk as backups.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
If the engine is not overheating due to low coolant then the likely culprit is either the water pump or thermostat. Other items like a plugged radiator and inoperable electric fan are possible causes, but not nearly as common as the pump or thermostat. If you are sure the fan runs when it gets hot you can discount that.

Tell your Dad to do himself and his engine a favor and quit playing Russian roulette.
That is exactly what repeated overheating is for an aluminum BMW engine. All gaskets are stressed.

Replace the water pump, thermostat, coolant tank, vent tube, hoses and belts. If any of these components have been replaced in the last two years you can remove them from the list. It is not a bad DIY job if you are handy, but if you are not have the work done as soon as possible.

Stay away from the Beck & Arnley thermostat which is junk. I used this thermostat last year and it didn't last a week before the heater coil burned out. The OE Wahler unit is a good unit.

Mark the direction of rotation on the old belts before they are removed and keep them in the trunk as backups.

Thank you very much for the thorough response! The car has not been driven since the incident so I will definitely inform my dad. Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I personally deal with random overheat messages. However, checking the temps using a PID capable code scanner and INPA, the temps always show normally. No temp related trouble codes. The overheat message will pop up and stay. I can pull the car over, pop the hood, slowly open the cap, and stick my finger in the coolant without much fanfare. Hot, but not overly so. 3 years and about 80K additional miles, it still does the same thing. Hoses changed, coolant drained, waterpump replaced, thermostat replaced, fan and temp switch ok...Center BMW thinks its a DME issue.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112
sorry to revive an old thread but my dad's 545 is now overheating randomly & i was wondering if you can be of assistance

my e90 (325i) was doing this as well. turns out it was an electric water pump failure. replaced that & thermostat & the car is fine now... was wondering if this is also a common problem on the 545i
advancedlogic brings up a good point.

Did you determine that the car is actually overheating (if you raise the hood with the engine off a tremendous amount of heat will be given off in addition to clicking and popping as the aluminum components are over-expended)? You can also access the secret menu to get actual water temperature.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Good Call
Old 05-17-2013, 11:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545i

[QUOTE= You can also access the secret menu to get actual water temperature.[/QUOTE]

What is SECRET MENU?

Quick Reply: BMW 545i E60 Engine