E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW 528 VS Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by porksoda' post='559444' date='Apr 10 2008, 07:46 PM
Which one did you like better?
Which one did you think suited you better?
Do you want to have a car for a status symbol?

Depending on how you answer those... you will have your answer. My rule of thumb is always get a car that you really want but not based on what others may think you need.
+1 ill agree with that. good luck with the decision.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

I used to own a 2004 TL with A-SPEC suspension, it's a nice car with decent handling and excellent reliability. There are a couple things that I didn't like:

1. Torque steer
2. Low-end power, there's nothing there. Once you pass 2500 rpm, it starts taking off.
3. Front heavy. You can feel it when cornering hard.

Here is my take: if you need a reliable compute car, go with the TL. However, the 528i is a better handling, albeit a bit slower.

You might also want to test drive a new TL-S, it's has more power and handles better than the standard TL.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)
Talking

I personally prefer rear-wheel drive to front-wheel drive. You have the ability to steer the car with the wheel or any of the pedals that way! Not to mention the handling of a rear-wheel drive car is better (IMHO). So there's my two cents, spend them as you see fit!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I owned a TL and it was a great fun car, but like most have said since it was FWD it had it's limitations. I loved the strong high reving engine that had TONS of bolt on mods available. Trust me I threw tons of $$$ into that car...I made it into a secret beast. When I owned that car I thought it was the best bang for the buck out there. I used to be a post whore over at acurazine.com myself!

Now that I have my 530 I would have to say that it would be very difficult to go back to Acura or Infiniti. I loved all of my other cars, but nothing beats the handling and styling of this 5 series.

IMO I think comparing the TL to the 5 series is like comparing apples to oranges! They are both completely different driving experiences. Go drive both, then make up your mind.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Talking

Acura/Honda and some other Japanese cars are good , but old fashioned I think.
They do not have options/features like BMW like ACC, Stop n Go, Push start/stop engine and AWD, mpg compared to HP
The least expensive car in BMW 1 series and 3 series have many of these features that high-end Japanese do not.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='560060' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:28 PM
They do not have options/features like BMW like ACC, Stop n Go, Push start/stop engine and AWD, mpg compared to HP
The least expensive car in BMW 1 series and 3 series have many of these features that high-end Japanese do not.
Acura does have AWD (on cars like the RL and MDX) and it's pretty advanced. It can accelerate the outside wheels as the vehicle goes through corners, something BMW xDrive doesn't do but is one of the features on the new AWD system on the X6. Acura also has keyless entry and engine start, and they have ACC too. They also have real time traffic on the navigation and other features like active noise cancellation within the cabin.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='560060' date='Apr 11 2008, 07:28 PM
even corolla has push stop n go.

bmw is not the first to fill the car up with gadgetry... only the japanese put everything standard or pack it with gadgetry.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by Ghostie' post='559292' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:27 PM
Has anyone ever compared these two vehicles?

I'm trying to decide between a base 528 vs a TL since both are in my price range, I've test driven both and liked them........just wanted to get some feedback from BMW owners

Thanks

I used own a Honda Prelude and if you are comparing pure joy of driving, Honda is the only car that has ever come close to BMW for me.
Numbers aside, they are one of the few companies that make cars for drivers and guarantee a smile on your face.
If $$ is a consideration (which it always is otherwise we'd all be on Bugatti.net ) I would say give the Acura a good look.
(I imagine the Acura is even more fun than the Honda)
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Members

Thanks for the feedback all, apologies for not doing a good enough job of clarifying that my budget would limit me to a base 528...........I have test driven the Sport version and have no doubt that it is a superior handling machine and would definitely be getting it IF it was within my price range

Have heard lots of people say that Sports versions drive so much better, but since I can't afford that I'm wondering if I should even bother since I won't be getting the legendary performance anyway (or will I?)

Lots of good information in all the responses, thanks again
Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by gene1' post='560100' date='Apr 11 2008, 06:24 PM
If $$ is a consideration (which it always is otherwise we'd all be on Bugatti.net )
I'd be over at astonmartin.com myself!!

Quick Reply: BMW 528 VS Acura TL