E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bizarre ABS, AWD, DSC problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:24 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52
Default Bizarre ABS, AWD, DSC problem

So I was receiving the triad of death error lights along with Flat Tire Monitor Malfunction light and a scan said front left ABS sensor to blame. I bought a replacement. No change. Then I moved the front right sensor over to the left. Solved issue there, but now the problem miraculously migrated to the right. Tried both original front left and now TWO replacements on the right side. Still getting 5E50 air gap too large or 5E51 loss of dynamic signal (with ABS DSC 4x4 triad) depending on which sensor tried on right side. Also still getting Flat Tire Monitor Malfunction.

I should note something also feels very "stuck" when the wheel is turned too far in either direction, but don't know if that is also a symptom of this problem or because of the resulting 5DEC "limp mode" or whatever.

Help!
Old 03-12-2022, 11:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 e60 528i
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N52n
Default ABS sensor problems

The air gap from sensor to pulse source ring being too big can give intermittent ABS pulses to the sensor. Try getting more penetration into the abs sensor hole for the ABS sensor. I had remove a bit metal with a grinder once to get better depth for the sensor (on a mercedes). You may only need a little more depth. The Chinese replacement Abs sensors are a bit inconsistent with their quality and seem to suffer from this problem.
The tire pressure controller 677104301 is another issue. It is likely having a corrosion problem. It is located under the big plastic panel under the car on the driver's side. Try removing it entirely. It could shorting out due to corrosion. It can be opened for inspection if you crack open the glue bonds. If you see lots of green on the Circuit board it is time to replace.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:12 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525XI
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by SchnellE60
The air gap from sensor to pulse source ring being too big can give intermittent ABS pulses to the sensor. Try getting more penetration into the abs sensor hole for the ABS sensor. I had remove a bit metal with a grinder once to get better depth for the sensor (on a mercedes). You may only need a little more depth. The Chinese replacement Abs sensors are a bit inconsistent with their quality and seem to suffer from this problem.
The tire pressure controller 677104301 is another issue. It is likely having a corrosion problem. It is located under the big plastic panel under the car on the driver's side. Try removing it entirely. It could shorting out due to corrosion. It can be opened for inspection if you crack open the glue bonds. If you see lots of green on the Circuit board it is time to replace.
Thanks for checking in. Some good info. I have FTM tire pressure monitoring and you are speaking about TPMS as far as I can tell.