E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A bit annoyed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys

thanks for the comments - for the record he drives an alfa 147.

i too really like the lights as they combine distinctiveness,aggression and style in equal measure - IMO. i haven't noticed these cues being copied yet but i will start to look out for it.

my only complaint about the look is i think that the lower part of the front spolier looks a little "under-done". I opted for an ACS spoiler to beef this up a little but its all personal taste in the end.

Thanks

Jonboy
Old 06-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

One of the controversial aspects about the 5ers is that they are really ahead of many other vehicles in many ways. Any company that moves ahead quicker than others takes the risk that some people may not understand the bigger step taken. This is truly the case with BMW, and it will take time for many to catch up in their comfort level.

The car is ahead in form, in detailing, in features, in drive qualities, in almost every aspect. It's OK for people not to like it. It is called polarizing opinions and it is sought after by leaders in industry. Those who like it desire it very strongly and those who don't may hate it.

It is the opposite of other companies who have designed cars that everyone find OK, but no-one truly loves. BMW is not that and gladly never will be.

Their market is changing with these new series, and it is shifting to people who are even more passionate.

You made a great choice, and should not feel like his approval is something needed, since he isn't able to keep pace with advancements as much as you are. He just doesn't see the future as well as you have.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

i find that most people's negative opinion on this car is due to the lack of information. the e60 is still quite rare on the road and not many people have actually seen one, initial information and photographs from magazines cannot do the car justice. i too was among that crowd when i saw the pics and thought how wrong can this get, but after seeing the 'real' machine in front of me in munich last summer, all my doubts have vanished. i believe in my choice of style and taste and i still cannot take my eyes off my car. the styling is really modern, sharp and fresh. bmw really nailed this one.
i also believe the sales figures reflects many people wanting to wait for production year 2 before they place their order, more would be sold if more are around and people get to see them.

*e60 owners please drive your cars as much as possible, let the public see it. be bmw's live advertising board. rollee
Old 06-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

I've got one and i love it.
What the others may say i don't care.
Two things i know, it's a great car and people usually say one thing and think another....
Old 06-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

jonboy, this is an E60 forum, you would obviously get good reviews here. If you really want unbiased and objective views, you should try posting your post in other car forums.

But why worry what others say? They see the E60 with their eyes, we see it with heart and passion.

The look of the E60 grows on me each day. I like the front especially the eyebrow. I still don't like the rear though. However, I am quite confident that E60 will be the design other carmakers will follow in the next few years.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Controversy over the design didn't bother me, before and after the purchase. Didn't notice BMW cars until I saw the Banglelized 5er. Now thats the car I want. I believe its a matter of individual taste. I say the Hummer is so... but a lot of people like it. If its performance you want, can't go wrong with the BMW, if its about aesthetics- well, its the reason why I don't hang around in the other forum (RF). Pointless, waste of time.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Change is imperative.... BMW has taken the first cut at it. You will see Audi, MB and others follow the new styling lines. Audi has already started to go down the same path in forthcoming cars.

Looking at an E60 on a poor auto press report and seeing it in person is entirely different. Expect the detractors to "zip their mouths" when they see the car in person.