E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='541115' date='Mar 7 2008, 11:13 AM
I hate to be the idiot who asks this but WHAT THE HELL IS BIODIESEL??
Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='540954' date='Mar 7 2008, 01:45 AM
In the meantime you use biodiesel, people in the world don't eat. Congrats to the idiot who invented it!
You really should do some research before making such broad statements.
Bio-Diesel doesn't take food from anyones mouth. The biggest factor in food not making it to the needy is transport cost. If thats reduced with say, bio-diesel maybe less people would go hungry.
Unfortunately Its controlled by the farm lobby in the US who insist on making it from corn which is highly inefficient.
Its best made from recycled grease from fryers and directly from sugar cane, but the corn growers in America cant grow sugar cane. So its back to profit margin.
Oh, and one more thing...... pleeeeeeeeeease don't put bio-diesel into a BMW... thats just wrong.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by gene1' post='541137' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:57 PM
You really should do some research before making such broad statements.
Bio-Diesel doesn't take food from anyones mouth. The biggest factor in food not making it to the needy is transport cost. If thats reduced with say, bio-diesel maybe less people would go hungry.
Unfortunately Its controlled by the farm lobby in the US who insist on making it from corn which is highly inefficient.
Its best made from recycled grease from fryers and directly from sugar cane, but the corn growers in America cant grow sugar cane. So its back to profit margin.
Oh, and one more thing...... pleeeeeeeeeease don't put bio-diesel into a BMW... thats just wrong.

Gene, I hear at news, every day, "The wheat is expensive because of the USA that are starting to use biofuels" .
Old 03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gorban' post='541053' date='Mar 7 2008, 02:13 PM
Almost all diesel fuel for cars in the EU contains up to 5% of biodiesel. This is ok with all modern diesel cars sold in the EU. It is possible to blend in more biodiesel as long as the fuel complies with the European EN 590 standard. I know that a blend with 20% biodiesel is under development and will soon hit the market. You can't however fill up you car with RME or other pure biodiesel fuels.
That might be the case in your country, but it isnt in the UK. My local Tesco used to have pumps that sold 10% biodeisel next to the std diesel pumps - and it cost slightly more! Id consider bio a lesser product - not something to pay more for! They dont sell it any more.

Regarding food - its been stated in the UK media several tiems that crops being used for fuel production is putting up the cost of feed for animals, and hence meat etc.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='541281' date='Mar 7 2008, 06:23 PM
That might be the case in your country, but it isnt in the UK. My local Tesco used to have pumps that sold 10% biodeisel next to the std diesel pumps - and it cost slightly more! Id consider bio a lesser product - not something to pay more for! They dont sell it any more.

Regarding food - its been stated in the UK media several tiems that crops being used for fuel production is putting up the cost of feed for animals, and hence meat etc.
Mismanagement doesn't make biodiesel a bad idea.
The American Farm lobby pushes crops they can grow even if they are wrong for the job. If biodiesel were to be made efficiently from sugar cane, American farmers (and European) would not see a cent of profit, the Caribean would be the new Saudi Arabia, and who wants that?
Also, I'd be thrilled to pay more for a steak and reduce reliance on petroleum.
I just financed a $70K station wagon. Lets put things into perspective this isn't HondaCivic.net
Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

The cost of food going up isnt a problem for those who can finance $70k cars, for a lot of other people its a real hardship. Particularly those in poorer countries.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Creating biodiesel from oil-producing plants is a chemical process, and the resulting fuel is a little more acidic than regular diesel, so it 'cleans' internals much more effectively than regular diesel and can, I believe, lead to earlier breakdown of seals, etc. As a result, much much finer filtration (and more frequent servicing) is needed to prevent fuel rails and injectors from becoming clogged with residue that's flushed from within the fuel system when biodiesel is used....
Its calorific value is lower than regular diesel too or so I am told. Though there are fuel production standards that need to be met if it is to be commercially sold - I've been told that it can be better quality than some supermarket fuels too. Depends a lot on the chemistry and clean-up processes.....
Works successfully in tractors and lorries, which operate with high pressure common rail fuel injection and electronic management systems - just like cars do! More importantly, it needs 'sanctioning' by manufacturers, as its an 'on your head be it' approach, as many choose not to recommend it in their engines - yet. But the tide is shifting.
I wouldn't use it in my car without the manufacturer's approval while warranty could be jeopardised.
A few farmers are making biodiesel to a high standard, but the production costs don't yet add up. But there'll be pressure applied when fossil diesel gets increasingly more expensive at the pumps..... Copy and paste this link if it doesn't come alive to read what they are doing and how they are doing it - but don't be tempted to put your lab coat on and act like Dr Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker from the muppets as it ain't as easy as it seems... http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?s...storycode=15266
Where biodiesel is oil-based for compression-ignition engines, bioethanol is a benzine-type product for spark ignition engines and can come from sugar cane and wheat, for example.
Ultimately, the question one day soon could be: Do you want to eat, or drive?